1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP WW1 Charley’s War inspired British cavalry

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DioramaArt, Jan 8, 2023.

1. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you Adrian,

When I was a kid I used to buy battle comic, then it became battle action force. I had this from the local news agent and used to eagerly await the next copy. The only stories I really liked were Charley’s War and Johnny Red, both were illustrated by Joe Colquhoun, now regarded as the best in the trade. Sadly Joe passed from Cancer in the late 80s, just after the CW story concluded and they started a not so good WW2 series with the now much older Charley Bourne, the star of the series. Unlike most war stories of the day, CW was quite political with an anti war undertone without hiding the brutality that was WW1, so quite moralistic without being sentimental. The writing by Pat Mills was genius, he went on to create 2000 AD, writing characters such as judge dredd.
    Nap, PropBlast and Ferris like this.
  2. NigelR A Fixture

Love it Marcus - what did you make the rifle sling out of? Putty? It looks very effective and I'm mulling over how to do mine.
    DioramaArt likes this.
  3. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Nigel,

In 1/35 I always make my slings from the foil from wine bottles. The thicker foil is better. Cut into thin strips that look right for the type of rifle and then make buckles and loops from .3mm copper wire. I use rifle sling reference on how they go together for that rifle. Being foil you can easily adjust the gravity of each sling to the soldier so it looks right. :)
    Nap and NigelR like this.
  4. NigelR A Fixture

Thanks. I just saved some thick foil from a fancy wine bottle, so will try that along with Eppi's suggestion of glue-soaked paper.
    Nap and DioramaArt like this.
  5. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The other way of doing slings is using masking tape. Masking tape is a bit stiffer than foil for 1/35 so not easy to get it to hang as you like without CA, it’s great for larger scale and use for 120mm as the texture is right for leather. Basically stick two strips of masking tape together (glue/glue) then cut strips to sling width, use thin wire to make buckles. Masking tape and wire is great for making broad leaf vegetation. The tape is easy to paint once primed and won’t flake.
    Nap and NigelR like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Marcus

Cracking result mate , excellent work on the groundwork, matched by a great version of the rider

Good SBS as well

Look forward to seeing the downed horse one as well ...graphic and very real ...below

Happy benchtime

Nap

IMG_6967.JPG

IMG_6966.JPG
    DioramaArt likes this.
  7. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you mate,

Will be working on the downed horse next week, a little more modelling needed but mostly paint flinging required. :D

2271A13C-E3EE-45A5-B109-EBF65A68CAB4.jpeg
    NigelR, Martin64, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  8. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent work..
    DioramaArt likes this.
  9. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Excellent, fling it Bby!
    DioramaArt likes this.