1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP WW1 Canadian Armoured Autocar

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gary Edmundson, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada
    I'm now working on Copper State Models 1/35 scale kit of a Canadian Armoured Autocar from WW1. I've modified one of their figures, three of which I'll use in the final display. The model goes together quite nicely, and there's enough reference on the Internet and photos of the last remaining one in Ottawa, Ontario to add a bit of extra detail.

CSM also have produced more accurate wheels in 3D print, which feature the numerous holes in the tires seen in the period photos. Cheers, Gary.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    These are really good looking figures, excellent.
    Oda and Gary Edmundson like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Gary

Impressive work on the vehicle , nice to see how it goes together , the tyres look great

Figures look ideal , looking forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda and Gary Edmundson like this.
  4. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada
    Thanks for the comments Kevin & Steve! Some progress on the figures, which I've got going on with Vallejo acrylics. Two of the heads I'm doing separate from their bodies for ease of handling. I've added some latching hooks for the folding panels on the sides of the Autocar using bent copper wire. Also, references show quite a few locking handles for the pivots on the MG mounts.
    Cheers,
    Gary

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Gary

Liking the detail additions...very well observed in your references

Nice start on the figures as well ...can I ask what Vallejo your using for the uniform?

*****PLEASE also SUPPORT the COMPETITIONS of your choice by going to the relevant thread on this link and ENTER and VOTE***

https://www.planetfigure.com/forums/bi-monthly-vignettes-dioramas-competition.196/

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Gary Edmundson likes this.
  6. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    One of my favourites Gary - cannot wait to see your version too.
    MikeTheKiwi
  7. Francisco Member

Great work Gary, as usual!! Looking forward to see the final result.
  8. NigelR A Fixture

Looking really good so far (y)
  9. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada
    Thanks Kevin. I start with a flat black pre-shade of Tamiya’s XF-1, then a misty spray of XF-49 Khaki to prime the uniforms, altering the mix slightly to get a different look to each figure. The Vallejo colours are applied over these in very diluted amounts, mixing mainly their Khaki with black, stone grey, Yellow or Green Ochre to get -again- variations in the tones. Working from the dark base to lighter highlights. It’s still a learning curve as I try to apply new techniques. After reading Mike Butlers book I’m trying some different approaches, but still have a few old habits that I rely on!
    Nap likes this.
  10. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada
    I've managed through painting of the CSM figures using Vallejo acrylics, and have progressed on the painting & weathering of the Autocar mounting the MG's along with their ammo boxes.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  11. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    This is coming along nicely, fig work looks great, btw.
  12. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wonderful work, top draw modelling, you know what your at Gary and it a pleasure to watch this work progressing.
    TERRY
  13. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work and an interesting project.

Hard to imagine that these contraptions were once at the cutting-edge of 20th century military technology!

- Steve
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Just going to agree , great details on those weapons

Figures look really good as well

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap