1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

ww1 british uniform

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by nautilas, May 8, 2013.

1. nautilas Member

United-States
    help needed for oil mix for british uniform ww1, cheers.
  2. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    If you use the search engine above and look for Tommy's War you will find different mixes. I asked the question myself and got lots of replies. Too many to mention here.

gary
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Mars yellow and black works.
    Carl.(y)
    Don likes this.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheat and use Vallejo's English Uniform
  5. Einion Well-Known Member

What colours do you have to work with? What shade of khaki are you aiming for?

It's a very open-ended question but see next bit in case you have similar paints.

Bit green for a lot of it though Carl. You'd often need a dab of Red Oxide or similar to shift the hue back towards yellow or orange.

Add white and you have a very versatile mixing quad, providing all you need to paint the entire uniform plus with some minor tweaks you can use it for virtually all darker fleshtones.

I wouldn't say that's a cheat :) but it would leave the problem of how to shade and highlight that colour in oils. Matching the base colour alone would be ah, 'difficult' for most modellers.

Einion
  6. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Oil or Acrylic?
    Pete
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    If you like this color I have a oilmix for you.
    gezicht 3 (Medium).jpg
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Yes please Marc, I am interested. ;)

Roger.
  9. nautilas Member

United-States
    Yes please that is the colour i am looking for. roy.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This is how I did it:
    I mixed cadmium red, with burnt umber, a little touch of blue, cadmium orange, Yellow ochre, untill I got the look of the Vallejo British Uniform color. Every step with little dots. Before you know you go over the top ;)
    Highlighting is done with Napels Yellow, high highlight after drying with Naples yellow + titanium white.
    Shading is done with burnt umber, and the darkest shades after drying with raw umber.
    All colors are W&N

Marc
    Gary D, Don and billyturnip like this.
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Marc.
  12. Don Well-Known Member

Thanks for the mix Mark I will try this mix and Housecarls mix on my next figure.

Don
  13. nautilas Member

United-States
    Thanks for all your help. Roy.