1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

wrinkles....

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by lemur, Aug 25, 2005.

1. lemur New Member

Hi folks,
    I know this Questinon is a bit "heavy-Noobish", but i have no clue how to make them. I tried to press them into the putty with a toothpick i tried different technics but the results doesnt look like wrinkles. Are there any SBS in the internet?
    thx in adv.

yours David

PS: im using milliput and biulding a 54mm figure.
  2. MattS Active Member

United-States
    David,

There are numerous sources out there for sculpting folds-theory, tools etc. Mike Blank's Sculpting book and Horan's Masterclass book come to mind. Another method is to observe how clothing folds occur in real life from photos or observation. The biggest teacher though is practice.

I always sculpt the tightest folds first, then work out to the larger ones. I use a combination of a filed down brass rod, color shaper rubber cone shaped tool and paintbrushes to smooth out the folds once sculpted. I hope this helps.

Matt
  3. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Hello David
    I don't have much experience as some of the fellows here,
    but there's a few things I learned so far.

1. It sounds like you are trying to make folds and wrinkles
    out of your head. The best way, IMHO, would be looking
    at photos. If you wing it, you might end up with unreallistic
    results or develope stylized wrinkles.

2. Matt is right. Using a same tool (tooth pick) will make wrinkles in different
    areas look the same. Try tools in different shapes and sizes.

3. Work small area at a time.

Hope other sculptors can help out here... :)
    Taesung
  4. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi David...no questions are to noob...it's great you're asking...and some great advice from Taesung...who is an absolute wizard with folds and wrinkles...and varying the tip size and shape of your tools is useful to help introduce variety into your work. Reference is one of our most important tools and it helps us transfer what we observe to our figure..for more believable results.
    When you are making folds and wrinkles with your putty..if you make sure your tool is moistened it will not stick or drag...slightly rolling or drawing a moist tool tip over the surface will enable smooth work...and if you need to smooth or soften you folds further you can use a moist brush...this will help to soften and spread and alter the shape of the wide ends of folds where needed. Try not to use too much water, especially with milliput..use just enough to avoid your tool dragging and your surface will stay smooth.
    And as Matt mentions above..plenty of practice is essential...getting more familiar with your tools and medium is great fun.

All the best.

Roy.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I presume you are asking about facial wrinkles. I sculpt in magic sculpt. I press the wrinkles inot wet putty with a # 11 xacto blade and then use a paint brush wetted with water to smooth the edges. Magicsculpt can be diluted with water so this works well.

Colin
  6. callum Member

Hi David,

Wrinkles can be a problem esp if you are trying to do them from your head. Try and get a copy of the book by Burne Hogarth Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery published by Watson Guptill ISBN0-8230-1587-4.

A great book that explains the way wrinkles work. :lol:

In my experience I always think I need more putty than I actually do so bear that in mind so as you avoid the too much cloth look. :eek:

Regards Callum.
  7. Einion Well-Known Member

Can't agree more with Taesung's first point (if you don't know his work he's being far too modest incidentally). Working directly from references is the best way to get realistic results, and not just for sculpting wrinkles.

Tools are secondary, different people sculpt with different types of tools (and in different ways - working 'wet' or carving, or some combination of the two) but can get to much the same end results. I'd try a few options and see what suits you best, you might find that the simplest type - shaped cocktails sticks coated in superglue - is all you need at this scale, with a little help from a few needles and a craft knife or two.

Einion
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great advice!

I don't think your question is noobish at all. Wrinkles that don't look realistic make a figure look uh..."noobish".

I don't know how many tools others use, but I use everything from both the sharp and the flat end of # 11 blade already mentioned to needles, wires of different sizes, flat paint brushes held on edge, different sizes and shapes of X-acto and other blades, and lots of others and I'm still buying tools. I just bought a set of those silicone putty pusher tools to try out. Wrinkles and folds matter!

Incidentally, try Magicsculpt. Much better than Milliput.

all the best,
    Dan
  9. lemur New Member

Thanks to all for your good (and fast) replies. they really helped me. I found out that i get the best results when I use different sizes of wire.