1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Wrath of God Part Two.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by John Bowery, Aug 19, 2015.

1. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    I am plugging along on this figure slow and sure. There is no weathering at this stage as I will do that after the figure is completely assembled.

wrath7edt.jpg

wrath8edt.jpg

wrath9edt.jpg

Remember most of the back will be hidden behind the cape. He is now glued permanently to the base and screwed to the wood block. He will be screwed to the proper base after completion.
    The cross is a mixture of brass enamal and highlighted with gold leaf enamal.
    The chainmail was painted with Humbrol track colour first and when dry was washed with Raw Umber. When that was dry I dry brushed with a steel mixed with black oil. When dry I then washed the shadows with black oil very dilute and more in the deep shadow. When that was dry I gave a dry brush with pure steel on the highlights.

In the left foot there is a cut in the leather between the sole and upper. Would this show the foot or a sock? I cannot tell from the box art.

Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.
    Cheers
    John
  2. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very clean painting. Looking forward to see it complete with weathering. I've always admired this kit but were monastic knights tonsured?
    John Bowery likes this.
  3. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    very nice start
    John Bowery likes this.
  4. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Great start John...

Can you tell about the left arm, by the photo it seems to be very long arm....
    John Bowery likes this.
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    That's some sharp looking work so far John. Looking forward to seeing how you handle the rest.

Joe
    John Bowery likes this.
  6. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice start John and very neat painting, I will be following this one

Tommi
    John Bowery likes this.
  7. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hello John.
    The blacks on the robes is looking good as is the worn look on the tabbard. I will follow this as I like the look of this fellow.
    Not into medieval but painting is painting and your doing a good job.
    Bob
    John Bowery likes this.
  8. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Really liking this can you tell me how you treated the red?
    John Bowery likes this.
  9. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Kevin: Apparently this man is a "Priest" as per the following.
    1. The act of shaving the head or part of the head, especially as a preliminary to becoming a priest or a member of a monastic order.
    2. The part of a monk's or priest's head that has been shaved.

Debrito: The arm does look a little long but as it is stretched into the air and the cape is not attached it should look OK after the assembly. The cape will raise the right shoulder considerably. Probably an inch.

Samson: The red was treated as per several members advice. It was mixed with a little touch of Raw umber and and greyed with a touch of flesh tone to give it the worn faded look. More flesh for the highlights.

Thanks for looking and all your messages.
    Cheers
    John
  10. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi again, John: I am following along with much interest.
    This will really be a stunner. Love the dramatic pose, as
    I said in previous note,(y)
    Jayhawk
    John Bowery likes this.
  11. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    John this is looking great so far,

You did ask the question would we see a sock or just flesh through the boot.

I think you could please yourself on that.

As a westerner in the holy land and after such a long journey, he may have worn out any socks and also because of their distrust of bathing his feet would be so pale I would just paint a light non specific colour in there myself.

Looking forward to more of this from you.
    Paul
    John Bowery likes this.