1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Worn Leather

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Showlen, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    Hello,

I'm currently painting "Calico Jack" by Romeo Models and I'm struggling to achieve a worn leather effect. So far, my attempts look more like wood... just unnatural.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how I might be able to achieve this look. Either acrylics, oil or both.

Thank you very much for the help!

Ronnie
  2. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ronnie,
    Check out Articles at the top of the page Grant has posted a great SBS on worn leather.
    cheers
    Richie
  3. Einion Well-Known Member

Hi Ronnie, there should be a good few prior threads on painting leather and on painting it worn or weathered specifically so worth trying a search.

Since you have both acrylics and oils I'd suggest this mixed-media approach as a starting point as it's fairly easy and effective:
    undercoat in acrylics in a natural leather colour (peachy, tan, dark beige, whatever suits);
    once it's completely dry paint over it in oils in the leather colour, including shading and highlighting;
    once you're happy with the blending take a clean brush and a sharp toothpick or similar tool and slowly begin to remove paint from the edges of the belt but stippling, wiping and scraping.

This should give you a naturalistic result much like a leather finish wearing away to reveal the hide colour beneath.

You can achieve basically the same effect in reverse by painting the wear instead of scratching back to reveal the colour underneath.

Einion
  4. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    Thank you both for your help, very much! I'll look forward to working with these methods and certain this will help me achieve the look I'm trying to obtain for worn leather. Thanks again!

Ronnie