1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

world war one- french uniforms

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by mcsneed17, Apr 30, 2009.

1. mcsneed17 Member

I am doing two french uniforms both from ww1 both are jon smith modelbau one is from the western front 1917 and the other one is 1918 from verdon .what i need to know is what colors from vallejo paints do i use?
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marc I'll post some plates this weekend. As for which Vallejos to use I'm not sure but I think Azure Blue might be a good start
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    From Vallejo i don't know.
    I have both figures and have done the western front 1917 (Chemin des Dames).
    The colors used on these figures are for all the Poilu and its called in English "Skyblue".
    Now it is your turn to give that a good color. I used ceruleum blue mixed with a tiny tiny tip of naples yellow for that wornout look, and a mix with ceruleum blue with french ultramarine blue for the base. Deepest shades where done with indigo.
    But these are oilcolors.
    The Adrian helmet is also blue.
    Here you can find some colorpictures:
    http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/viewtopic.php?t=389&highlight=uitrusting
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I tried to find some color references for you. Hope these are helpful.

Because color fast dyes were not used, because the uniform manufacturers did not use standard material lots or color lots and because weather bleached out the colors unevenly, "horizon bleu" was probably never a very standardized color actually. So you have some valid room for interpretation and artistic license.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files: