1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Working the cottonfields

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by madeg, Sep 3, 2010.

1. madeg Active Member

Searching information and illustrations about the history of the Southern states, I came across a print showing slaves working the cottonfields .
    For some reason I got the idea for sculpting the first pregnant figurine . The concept of the figure is very simple . There is no uniform and there are no complex acsessoires .
    So I thought
    As always I tried to sculpt the figure using green stuff ( knetadine ) over a pre-sculpted body using magic sculpt . After 3 trials and errors , it came to my attention that the dress and its folds could not be created separately .So I had to redo the dress using magic sculpt to create a volume with folds . This was new to me and surprisingly it went well .
    The shoes are home made resin parts .
    The setting is very basic , the cottonplant is made from natural materials and real cotton wool .The basket is one from the Verlinden range .Groundwork is done using Vallejo acrylic paste. Vallejo has a very interesting range of ground materials all water based .
    Painting is done using Vallejo acrylics as basecoat . And W&N oils as finishing layer .
    What had to be a simple project became complex for me .I hope it has been worth it .

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Well worth it Marc, excellent and a bit different.
    Carl.
  3. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very cool. I grew up next to cotton fields and I still love the though of seeing them when they are all in bloom. Nothing like seeing a white field next to a buch of green ones. I gave a bud to a friend up in New York once and they were amazed at seeing and feeling a real cotton ball before the store got a hold of it!. Anyways, really nice work on a subject matter way over looked.

Joe
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well done :) (y)

It's ironic how the simplest things are the most challening!
  5. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Since my background is the history of the Southern United States, I really like this one and think it is spot on.
  6. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Love this; nice idea and pulled off wonderfully.
    Been working on similar subjects myself. I hope it comes out half as good as this in the end.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work Marc.

marc
  8. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Well Done, Marc !

Hi Marc !
    2 thumbs up, my friend (y)(y) !!! Good job on the sculpting and concept. Cheers !
    Kenneth ;).
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Wonderful Marc! I only wish I had thought of it!!! :)

All the best,
    Dan
  10. btavis Active Member

United-States
  11. Elaphus Active Member

Germany
    Hello Marc,

great idea and really conversion!!!

Great,

Karsten
  12. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Hi Marc,
    Very good job,and the other issue is incredible.

Alexandros
  13. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Marc, brilliant idea and vey well executed.(y)

Cheers Ken