1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Working on figures for my seminar

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by bchilstrom, May 10, 2005.

1. bchilstrom New Member

United-States
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

A few months back, the folks who are putting on the Louisville show ( an IPMS Regional I believe) on May 20th & 21st, asked Davd Harper and I (Bill Chilstrom) to each give a 1 hour seminar during the show.

We both agreed, Dave is doing his on USMC LVT's in WWII, since the powers that be at the new Marine Corps Museum being built at Quantico, VA. asked Dave to donate to their museum, the LVT models from his two Letterman Publications books.

Dave agreed and he and I will be delivering them to the Marine Corps Museum the week after the Louisville show. So Dave will have them with him for his seminar on the 20 of May.

My seminar is on detailing plastic injection molded figures in 1/35 scale. I will have many examples of my work that are based on DML's figures. Here are a few shots of a new piece that I am working on to display at my seminar.

I am building a 1/48 scale diroama using the beautiful Tamiya Stug. B. There are no great figures in this scale, so here are a couple of walking Germans that I am working on. If things work out right, I may have a few castings to give away at the Louisville show, no promises though, but I will try.
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great Stuff Bill!

Looking forward to see them in the flesh next week!

Love the paintjob n the German so far.
  3. PHIL WALDEN Member

Gi-day BILL,like the look of your Para,s,.. the side cap makes a nice change I think, good luck with the seminar.. cheers cob. Phil
  4. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Hey Bill,

CHEATER!!! I know where those 1/48 scale heads came from....... I should, I sculpted them!

Cheers!!

Mike
  5. bchilstrom New Member

United-States
    Hi Mike,

Yep! And a fine job you did!! That's the fun of doing stuff for your own use, you can cheat and use the best bits around. Plus you do not have to engineer it for mass production. Sometimes the engineering of the patterns and the delay waiting for castings to paint really ruins an otherwise fun project.

I am currently sculpting/cheating several Germans for a 1/48 scale Stug. III diorama.

What have you been up to? Are you working somewhere? I miss seeing your work.

Bill
  6. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Bill, what a great seminar idea. I'm sure the armor dudes will like it. I suspect few will sculpt a figure from scratch, but most will do minor conversions and detailing.

BTW, how do you sculpt those bottles/jugs I see there among the baggage on the mule?

P.S. I miss seeing Mike Good's work too! I'm always hoping he'll surprise us with a new bust some day!
  7. bchilstrom New Member

United-States
    Thanks for the input Steve. The stuff on the mule all came from my resin stashOstuff. I can't say exactly where what came from. I empty the contents of each box into a big plastic bin.

Sorry
  8. manel arin New Member

Hi, Bill,
    I can "feel" a great sculpting job in the 1/48 figures, looking forward to see them finished!!
    Some questions: do you sculpts the arms in the bodies (like the photo) and then you cuts the arms by the shoulder? if yes, how do you link the arm to the body? internal wire? how do you cut the wire when the figure is finished, then ? :)
    sorry for my poor english.
    Best regards.
    Manel.
  9. bchilstrom New Member

United-States
    Hello Manel,

I sculpt the arms as separate pieces, the wire armature plugs into a small hole drilled into the torso at the arm socket.
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful work Bill......I wish I could attend the show and your seminar.
  11. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    shouldn't this be in a vbench?

Robin
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    It probably should Robin. I left it here because of the News about the Seminar. Will move to Bill's vbench after the seminar this weekend so we don't lose the thread in this forum.
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great stuff Bill! ;) The overloaded mule with the buckling leg is priceless! The only problem is the ASPCA may file a complaint. :)

all the best,
    Dan
  14. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Well then, on a different note:
    The show takes place this weekend (Fri & Sat.) so my question is, how many of us pF guys will make it? Yes it's an IPMS show but we can still get together and have some fun. I'll be there for sure as well as Dave and Bill. My camera will also be there so I'll be sure to post some pictures once it's complete. Some of you guys don't live that far away and besides, it'll be a fun time.

Jim Patrick

Don't forget your badge ;) (Thanks again Quang)