1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Work in progress on a 90mm Celtic Briton

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Lovejoy, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Lovejoy New Member

England
    A while back I did a 54mm Celtic Briton, which had a number of problems. I've started re-doing the figure in 90mm. So far I've done a couple of heads and some equipment - can you take a look, and see what you think? If there's any major problems I want to catch them early...
    Follow the link below and click 'Work in Progress'.

http://www.grey-army.co.uk/

Thanks,
    Michael Lovejoy
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Michael,
    I'm not a sculptor but i like what i see. The weapons, the shield, both are great work.
    Continue.

marc
  3. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Michael,

The upper body and parts are very nicely detailed. The legs prbably need some bulk and wrinkles to complement the rest of the figure. Nice pose.
    Rgds Victor
  4. WPS Member

Netherlands
    hi Michael,

what a face, I like the expression.
    I'm doing a first sculpt myself but lack the skills to do a head.
    If you're brave enough could you do a topic on how to do a face ???
    see my project here http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25413
    p.s. got some info problems regarding the uniform so the build is on hold for now.

best wishes, Willem
  5. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. And WPS, I'm not sure I'm up to doing a tutorial yet - I've still got a lot to learn myself...

Here's an updated WIP pic - please shout if you see something I should be changing
    Regards,
    Michael Lovejoy

Attached Files:

6. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Michael, nice work as usual.
    I like the forward stance and shield forward. This is a fighters stance.
    As before though, my only critical comment would be that you have the sword in the right hand and the scabbard on the right side. Very awkward when it comes to drawing the sword. This is not a short roman sword or a saxon scramsax but a good celtic "i'm going to cut you off your horse or reach past your shield" sword. Too long to pull from the same side.
    Thanks for the update on your work.
    Nice stuff.
  7. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Thanks for looking! I must admit, I did swap the sword to the left, but since then have read in three books that the swords were hung on the right, from bronze or iron chains. One of the books had a description of how they drew them in that position - I'll see if I can dig it out.
    Regards,
    Michael Lovejoy
  8. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Another quick update; I reworked the heads.

Regards,
    Michael Lovejoy

Attached Files:

9. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Okay, lots more progress on this one - in fact, it's nearly finished, so if you've got any major problems with it, tell me now! I've blu-tacked the bits together, and managed to snap a couple of pics before it fell apart again...
    Here it is:

Attached Files:

10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Michael,
    Looks good to me and nice action.
    Cheers
    John
  11. Lovejoy New Member

England
    Thanks John!
    I've added some more pics to the website, to show the helmeted version, and in the Gallery section I've added some tiny 10mm stuff - if you want to see something completely different!
    http://www.grey-army.co.uk/
    regards,
    Michael Lovejoy