1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Work in Progess

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, May 5, 2005.

1. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Hoi,

I wanted to share with you (Rocco asked it) my in progess irish knight.
    The chain mail and face are in my opion ready.
    The undercloth of the chainmail has his first layer of Gold Ochre.
    Trouble for me is finding the wright shadow and highlight color.
    Please make some comments.

Marc

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dear Marc, colours like yellow can be awkward to highlight as they're already quite light to start off with in the first place. If you've ever heard of complimentary shading, give it a try. This is, if you didn't know, a technique where to shade a colour you do so with it's complimentary colour. This is basically the opposite colour. For example, the opposite of red is green and the opposite of blue is orange. Have a look at http://wellstyled.com/tools/colorscheme2/
    This gives a colourwheel so you can easily see what colours are involved in terms of 'opposites'.
    I have found that using this technique (with oils) has given some pretty fair results. This is how I shade blue - I add orange. Experiment, you never know...

Let us know how you get on.
  3. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi Marc,

Looking good already (as I told you tuesdaynight). Yellow can be shaded with many different colours, depending on what kind of yellow you want (cold, warm, etc...) You can use any red, brown, red-brown colour, but the most intresting I find is useing purple. For highlighting I like to use a very light orange or very light yellow (naples yellow or white with a hint of a yellow colour mixed in). I know watever colour you chose it will be a succes.

Keep your brushes wet,

Gino
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Marc, I echo what everybody else said, your figure is coming along nicely.
    I usually use violet to shade yellow and Cadmium yellow + white to highlight.

You are making great progress and thanks for posting the pictures. ;)

Cheers

Roc. :)
  5. Calvin Member

Hi Marc,
    in my opinion the figure looks good, if I can advice something, is about the base, why not adding some more item (plants, ruins, etc.) ?
  6. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hi Marc!

Id say that this figure so far is a bit leap forward for you. This is one of the best faces Ive seen you paint.

Also the byrnie looks very good. Id suggest some more layers of yellow and as Gino said, add redbrown for the shadows and white for the highlights.

Cheers
  7. nagashino New Member

Hi Marc

This is looking good. Nice work on the face and mail - he looks a pretty mean dude!

I would echo Roc on the shading of yellow - violet is a good choice and it works well on the smaller figures. Browns are usually too grainy and I find they don't brush out that well against a lighter colour.

My method for mail (on metal figures): Burnish the mail area with steel wool and then give it a wash with iso alcohol or thinners. When dry, apply a fairly thick coat of Burnt Umber and leave it for a couple of hours (or better, overnight). Then brush it right out using a broad flat brush. This leaves a nice deep brown patina, on which you can highlight by removing more paint with a cotton bud, and shade using Sepia or Sepia Extra. Then pop it in the heat box or crock pot overnight and IMHO it'll look good.

When I get a minute, I'll post a couple of pics of what it looks like on a figure, and you can judge.

Looking forward to more of the Irishman!

Regards

Phil
  8. Brad S Member

Hey Marc,

Looking Good! This is the best face Ive seen you paint. I see you developing on each new figure. I cant help you much on yellow. I think orange, or the complimentary color purple would be good choices. You may even paint it in a really light yellow and then only build up some shadows. Keep up the good work. I wish I could paint right now, its driving me crazy.

Brad Spelts
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He's looking great Marc.........I have to agree with Brad........best face I've seen you do. Every figure gets better and better.
  10. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Great work on the face Marc. I also like the chainmail. As for shading yellow.. i usually add a bit of black or brown to my main mix.
  11. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Hello Antony,

Thanks for the link. That's a good one. I must study this one but it seems allright. And yes, i heard of the complementary colours, i have hear a great outprint from Armorama.com what is written by Einion Rees.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Marc
  12. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Gino Thanks,

I did with the eyes, what you said, making them smaller. I highlighted the hair some more as Larissa said.
    It all comes at really good.
    Again thanks for all the positive comments.

Marc
  13. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Roc, my friend,

Thanks for the kind words. Always apreciate it. And it was no problem to post. :)

Marc
  14. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Luca,

Thanks. The base is the rough one that is coming with the figure. I use this for handle the figure better in a great vise.

Marc
  15. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Janne,

Thank you very much. Apreciate it.

Marc
  16. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Brad,

Thank you, but you got to tell us why you cannot paint.

Marc
  17. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Guy,

As always thank you. You are the engine of my figure painting hobby. Thanks for that.
    Always appreciate your comments
    Marc
  18. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Xenofon,

Thanks for the nice comments.

Marc
  19. Brad S Member

Marc,

I have lots of respect for you. You reply to everyones posts as well as reply to the replies from your posts. Everyone knows that you have acknowledged their reply. Thank You. As far as not being able to paint, I own my own business of lawn fertilization and right of way weed control. I can usually only paint in the Winter months. Sometimes I can finish one figure during, but thats it. Thanks for asking.

Brad Spelts
  20. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Brad,
    Thanks for the kind words. Then i have to say that i have the possibility to paint every evening, and that's what i do. Listen to bluesmusic and painting. It is a great feeling that i can leave behind the ins and outs of the hospital and get my mind empty for the next day.
    I hope for you that you find much time in the winter to do all the great painting on those little men.

Greetings Marc