1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Work benches.

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Geraint, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Geraint Active Member

Going back to basics, what type of work benches do you use? I'm using a bench that was my Fathers but am finding it too constricting, so do you use home made or off the shelf benches? What do you recommend? As I'm in the UK probably recommendations fron the UK best?

Thanks.
  2. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    I use an old flat packed computer desk which I bought from Argos in 1988, & that does me for everything from building, painting & airbrushing. They’ve probably got much better examples for sale now!
  3. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada

giraldez has some sound ideas...it’s not about a brand or such, rather table height, lighting..
  4. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    I use an Ikea table, white finish, metal end pieces and legs, single drawer at the top.
  5. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Computer desks usually sit too low for my liking and tray for keyboard isn’t much use either..height of the thing can be adjusted with some feet, and or a kneeling chair: I use one and love it..I find storage under a desk less helpful than storage on the tabletop: easy access whilst working vs reaching and so on to access something. If you a;ready have a cutting mat, make sure it will fit whatever you get.. a shiny surface may allow moving things around, but also may reflect too much ligh from your table lamp, lamps..notwithstanding advice to use two lights, I use one.

‘above all: ergonomics, and “comfort” ..it’s your happy space so avoid things that may later bother you..
  6. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good idea for a thread and it has just landed in as my wife has banished me from the Kitchen table and into a small store room so I am currently clearing it out decorating it to make it pleasant to be in and then I will be kitting it out with work bench etc so perfect timing on this.
    TERRY
    housecarl likes this.
  7. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    And of course, every good workbench needs a good chair, one that protects you from bad posture and back-ache. Oh, and a carpet that's easy to find dropped bits on!
    housecarl and MattMcK. like this.
  8. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Because I am decorating a very small room for the sole purpose of model making I have opted for laminated wooden flooring that will be easy to clean if any spills and hopefully in a light colour that will make it easy to find dropped items, I can build a work top directly onto the wall 1220mm (the width of the room) x 760mm approx, (same size as the kitchen table that I have used for the last couple of years) this will allow me to have the height of the work surface at a level to suit my comfortable posture when painting, the chair is an interesting topic as in the past I have ran out and bought a cheap computer type seat that with prolonged painting sessions cuts the butt off you so I might need to spend a bit more money to get something more padded and upright, the video link from grasshopper has some useful info.
    TERRY
    MattMcK. likes this.
  9. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

Consider hinging the work surface to the wall, that way it can be folded down it you need space for some reason. I did that in my studio and it's handy.
  10. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good idea Matt, also considering taking the handle of the outside of the door to stop the wife and daughter hanging coat hangers with blouses etc on them, in the past that has put me of going into the store room : touch the door handle six hangers and their contents all over the floor, 10 minute tidy up job lol.
    TERRY
  11. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Consider hinging your wife to the wall so she can be folded down when you need space.....LOL.
    I'm fortunate to have a very large room for my hobbies.
    Nap likes this.
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Shared this so many times now, you guys are probably tired of seeing it, but here is my bench:

[IMG]

[IMG]

I built that bench originally to fit in a 10' by 8' room in the mobile home I lived in. The bench is 4'x8'. I used 2x4's for the frame, fastened with 2 1/2" drywall screws, and scrap plywood that I scrounged.

The house I bought has a cellar, which was a selling point. I was able to install the bench there.

The easel I salvaged from someone who was going to throw it out.

My bench is pretty much unchanged, but I am adding a hutch back to it, with a couple of shelves, 10" wide, running the length. That will give me extra storage space and let me organize supplies better. I've cut the lumber, and assembled the supports, I just have to set aside a couple of hours to finish. I also added the draftsman's lights after I installed the bench. The single 60w incandescent over the bench doesn't provide adequate light for working.

Prost!
    Brad
    Chris Oldfield and MattMcK. like this.
  13. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Gotta love Ikea desk and cabinets. :)

Cheers,
    Ken
  14. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    A good head torch is also useful to fight the carpet monster.......
    theBaron likes this.
  15. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Yep, got ttat one too but still...in my room there must be a small hidden pile were all the lost parts are hiding........
    Btw..made my workbench myself so it would fit proper. Used some large planks etc. and as for light....can't have enough lamps......

P1280002_01.JPG
    Modelling section

P1280003_01.JPG
    Music section......

P1280001.JPG
    Relax section.......:happy:
    theBaron, b00gie, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Some great advices here , nice to see workspaces ......mine is in our main bedroom .......in a alcove ...direct natural light ...surrounded by books !!...do need to get a better chair though

I use a glass desk SWMBO didn't want ( think it might be from IKEA!!!) ...bit too good really....carpets everywhere ...still have a live in monster !

Nap
    theBaron likes this.
  17. Geraint Active Member

Many thanks guys, I managed to get a sewing table which looks like it might do the trick! Again thanks for the input.
  18. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    An old fold-away table by Ikea. Circular and about 750mm across. In the conservatory for the daylight, without which toning is impossible (for me).
    All paints in a large box. Brushes in a desk tidier. Other bits and pieces in a small plastic tool box.
    Airbrush compressor in the wardrobe. But that's just for aircraft (sorry: naughty word here?).
    Everything is portable and put away after use.

...and nobody else uses Dave's kit.
    Nap likes this.
  19. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I was working of the Kitchen table for years, having to drag everything out to get a couple of hours benchtime and then put it all away again, night after night and at times this put me off figure painting altogether, so we had a store at the top of the stairs that was a dumping ground for anything and everything, the family including me just opened the door a threw the objects in, you could only open the door about 6 inches and the junk reached the ceiling, I had my eye on it as a possible modelling den but the idea of clearing it out was a motivation killer however I took the plunge during Christmas holidays 2019 and made a start but ran out of steam many times and closed the door again..... then along came lockdown and although there were numerous challenges trying to get paint, wood or basically anything I managed to finish it on Sunday. God only knows when I will get to paint figures in it as the wife has me decorating the rest of the damn house lol.
    Work top = 1200mm x 800mm x 25mm white veneered board of Ebay (the room just happen to be 1220mm wide so no legs NAP its fitted onto horizontal battons).
    Billy Book Shelves from Ikea 1no 400mm and 1no 800mm = 1200mm to match Work top.
    Leather look office chair of Ebay.
    Amazon Alexa banging out Planet Rock.
    Pictures of the nice and tidy never used look and the shelf off unfinished shame. modelbench2.jpg modelbench2.jpg modelbench1.jpg

TERRY
    Nap, theBaron, KenBoyle and 5 others like this.
  20. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Good skills, Terry - nice neat setup you've got there & I hope you get to use it soon.
    I recognise a few of the books I've got on my shelf too.