1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Woodgrain anyone?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Pete_H, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Pete_H New Member

I'm curious. How do you guys go about painting woodgrain on a rifle? I'm currently painting a 1/35 M-1 Garand rifle and I got to thinking about the different ways of painting woodgrain.

Just curious ...
  2. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Pete

It's a good question. Found myself looking at re-enactors more and more for colour references, and for example, the wooden handle of a german stick grenade was much lighter than I expected, almost orange.

Over the years I've had success with oil paint and acrylic for wood. I've done burnt sienna oil brushed along the length of a rifle to give the grain, and played with acrylics on my Stalingrad figure. remembering that the grain continues through any metal bits (ie. solid piece of wood) helps with the effect. Never really note my colours!

One observation is that some sheen is expected on a handled weapon.

on the Garand, I found these pics:
    M1 Garand
    it illustrates the variation that can be seen on the wooden elements! How much of a grain would be seen at 1/35 is another matter.

Rob
  3. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hi Pete!

I use three different methods depending on the situation and the finnish required.

If I can I texture the wood surface with sandpapper, usually grit 50, give or take some depending on the kind of wood to be done. Then I sand it smooth with finer sandpaper to eliminate fuss etc. This is especially important in styrene.
    Painting is done by basecolouring and adding the grain with washes and drybrushing.

One can also paint in the grain, streak by streak, with thin diluted paint. It looks great but needs some practise and experience. Ive seen Mike Blank and Adrian Bay describing this techniq but Im only learning myself.

Sometimes I use Derwent Artist pencils. Basecoat with the desired colour and draw fine wood grains in darker and lighter colour with a sharp pen. Works great for chipping and scrathing too.

Cheers
  4. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Hi Pete.
    I paint wood grain simulating the veins(?),painting a lot of small lines of some shades of browns and mixing them with glossy black.Is a time consuming method but it looks good.
    best regards
    jaume

Attached Files:

5. homellop Active Member

Spain
    another pic

Attached Files:

6. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Jaume, it does indeed look good!

Rob
  7. johnbrewer New Member

This is a different way. Paint on the pale wood colour. over the top some oil paint, burnt sienna perhaps. Then press your thumb on , which leaves a finger print a sort of a wood grain.