1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Wolf's French Voltigeur Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Alright Planeteers, here is my first posting of any of my work! This is the 1/9 or 200mm Wolf French Voltigeur 1809 bust. It's my first Napolionic! I have had my eye on this guy for some time and when my buddy here got one and I saw it in the "flesh" I just had to have one. It's a FANTASTIC sculpt and it paints up very smoothly. I have base coated my flesh tones with Model Master acrylic skin tone shadow, and the remaider is painted in oils. I wanted a bit more of a weathered, weary or veteran look to him so I thought the eye patch added a nice look. It's made from Magic sculpt with lead foil strap. I think I am going to title this one "The Veteran" so I wanted that kind of look to him. I will post up one pic to show how he looks without the eye patch.

Thanks for looking and any and all comments are appreciated. The small spot on his left cheek in one picture is a light reflection. I haven't finished the hair in the pics you see here. I will try to post more as I move forward. Thanks!

Jay H.
    OKC

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The rest of the bust primed and ready to undercoat.
    [IMG]

The back-pack primed and ready to undercoat.
    [IMG]

Fresh oils!!!!! Still wet, we took this pic just as I set it down! As you can see in this picture, the patch was an afterthought and at this point I haven't added it yet! I actually added it after I had spent all the time to finish up my flesh tones and paint the eyes. He just needed that personalized bit of ooomph! ;)
    [IMG]

The pallet!
    [IMG]
  2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Jay, looks good, looking forward to your next step.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic work Jay...........the eye-patch was a touch of genious.........really adds character to the face. Hurry up and paint some more....lol
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work Jay,

Finally somebody who is still painting in oils (y) .
    I really wanted to see more pictures as the bust is coming to finish.

Marc.
  5. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    WoW i'm really amazed Jay. Your flesh tones are great and i'm glad they are in oils. Do you mind sharing your mix and technique with us (oil painters)??

Xenofon
  6. Brandy Small New Member

Hey Jay,

Awesome work!!!!

~Brandy
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gentlemen, (and Ladies!) the comments are greatly appreciated! I'll be sure to post more progress as I go.

Marc, oils are the ONLY way to go for me! I really like this technique over any others I have tried.

Guy, the brush is in my hand! :lol:

Xenofon, my pallet consists of Cad red, yellow ochre, raw umber and white. I vary the mix for almost every figure , but it bassically starts out with equal amounts of the red, ocher and small bit of umber for the mid tone. From there I add white and maybe a bit of ocher for the lighter shades, and then umber for the shadow tones. I will actually use straight raw umber for some of the extreme shadow tones (blended out of course), and I usualy work with around 5 shades from darkest to lightest highlight. The pallet in the picture has cad yellow and a small spot of paynes gray (just in case I feel I need to cool any shade down), but I didn't use either one in this case. I also mix one shade of mid/shadow tone with a bit of cad red to make a nice rosy (and usually quite dark) colored lip and cheek color. I work wet-on-wet starting with the darkest shades, establishing the shadow areas and basically working up to the lightest highlight. HTH! Thanks for the comments!

Brandy, thanks for the compliment! Your work on Darla's box art was fantastic as well! So, back atcha!

Jay H.
    OKC
  8. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Thanks a lot for sharing your technique Jay. I work on a similar mix. I will try to add the cadmium red on my next mix. I usually mix the other three, instead of raw umber though i use burnt sienna, which is a bit redish.

Xenofon
  9. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Thanks a lot for sharing your technique Jay. I work on a similar mix. I will try to add the cadmium red on my next mix. I usually mix the other three, instead of raw umber though i use burnt sienna, which is a bit redish.

Xenofon