1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Wolf Hunter from DG Artwork

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hello one and all

Tis' I your scribe for this review of a release from DG Artwork a little time ago ....we are I am sure aware of the previous releases from them which you can see on their website and also as reviews by myself and others here on PF and social media .

0.jpg

I was pleased to be able to get a look at this after having seen the box art of a very aggressive looking viking on a base , I originally thought it was a single figure but I was happy to see this is not so ...we are treated to 2 figures ...the main one and one incorporated into the base.

The release is of course this :

00000.jpg

We are all no doubt aware of the fighting ability of the vikings , famed for their use of weapons including the hand and the long handled axe ... as well of course the sword and shield , the latter used to effect in the shield wall .

zzzz.jpg

Of course they are also known for the beautiful metalwork, the long ships , the saga's, their settlements in particular in the UK York where we are lucky enough to have the Jorvik Centre.

What have we here ...a viking warrior , in my idea a leader with the equipment he has , a beard in a cold winter environment perhaps , striding over a enemy that he has just despatched with effect using his hand axe ....possibly this poor fellow was called "Wolf" hence the title or maybe its because the main figure furs are wolf...who can say .

Lets give you some reference to look at :

zzz.jpg zzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg zz.jpg zzzzzzzzzz.jpg z.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzz.jpg zzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg zzzzz.jpg

Some details of the many colours of wolf fur only for reference

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.png

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Note: DISCLAIMER ...In no way do I condone hunting of any sort

Naturally there are many books available here are a few to think about

zzzzzz.jpg zzzzzzzz.jpg zzzzzzzzz.jpg zzzzzzz.jpg 0.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap
    Zastrow.cuirassier and zane666 like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    On now to the box

Details of the release:

Title: Viking Warrior 10th century , Wolf Hunter

Reference: DG75F007

Scale: 75mm

Material: Lt Gray Resin

No of parts: 10

Sculptor: Dae-Hyeong, Kim

Box Art: Dae-Hyeong, Kim

The review was well packed in foam and clear bubblewrap held in a very good box with the colour artwork by the sculptor on the top ...is there no end to his talent!!

DG Viking 90mm 001.jpg

The parts consist of

Main figure
    2 lower arms
    Helmet
    Fur cloak
    Axe Head
    Small knife or saxe
    Sword
    Shield
    Base

DG Viking 90mm 002.jpg

Prep

I was not expecting too much and I was right , it consisted of just this

• Main figure ....Nothing apart from remove casting plugs from under feet fit to base
    • 2 lower arms...Remove small casting plugs and fit to torso ...no filler needed !!
    • Helmet...Remove casting plug from rear and flashing from helmet "eyes"
    • Fur cloak...Remove 3 small casting posts and fit to main figure ( tiny bit of filler needed )
    • Axe Head/Small knife or saxe...Remove from formers and fit in position
    • Sword....Remove excess from lower edge of scabbard
    • Shield...Small casting remnant to remove and fit to left hand
    • Base....Remove casting plug from edge
    Total time: just over 30 minutes

In this part I will look at the main figure and its component parts

Main Figure

Just looking at the piece it portrays our image of a viking , strong , aggresive and with a beard , as I said this is a warrior of high status with his mail shirt well protected from the cold both by clothing and fur wrappings on lower arms and legs.

The facial features are very good indeed , mouth wide open shouting , teeth exposed , good eye and nasal details, sporting a rather nice beard and braided hair at the sides as well as the lovely work on the braided beard at the front.

Wearing a mail neck piece that hangs naturally at the back of his head , as with the actual mail shirt well detailed ( the shirt is shaped at the lower edge) .

Draped around his shoulders is a wolfs pelt the head on the right hand side , the texture work on the actual pelt is really very good , lots of washes and interest could be added by colour variations on this.

There are belts around his waist and across his body , well shaped and perfect for the movement of the sculpt , they are pulling into the waist nicely

On the left side we have small pouch/money bag , with a couple of good clips attaching it to the belt

On the right thigh there is a cutout to fit the sword and next to that a hole to fit the dagger/saxe.

At the rear there is a large cutout this take the lower part of the wolf's pelt which has been cleverly cast separate.

The lower edges of his tunic shows some wear and tear in the form of torn material

The legs are wearing trousers also with a cut on each upper thigh , the left leg is raised up forward , the sculpting portrays a strong and hardened warrior .

The folds and creases in the trousers are very nicely worked , both in style and naturally

DG Viking 90mm 010.jpg DG Viking 90mm 006.jpg

DG Viking 90mm 003.jpg DG Viking 90mm 004.jpg DG Viking 90mm 005.jpg DG Viking 90mm 006.jpg DG Viking 90mm 008.jpg DG Viking 90mm 009.jpg
    DG Viking 90mm 007.jpg DG Viking 90mm 014.jpg

DG Viking 90mm 012.jpg DG Viking 90mm 011.jpg

The lower legs are well wrapped in fur being held in place by cords which are covered by the textures of the fur , on his feet we see good shoes with 2 side fitting straps.

DG Viking 90mm 013.jpg

Lower Cloak

This is a well engineered piece of resin fitting easily and well, with the minimum of filler at the back of the figure , as with the pelt on the figure the great texture continues , with the animals legs being evident in shape , under the fur we have the actual cloak itself , lovely work on the folds and again well worn with the heavy raiding and campaigning this warrior is embarking on.

DG Viking 90mm 025.jpg DG Viking 90mm 022.jpg
    DG Viking 90mm 023.jpg DG Viking 90mm 024.jpg

Arms

The left has the hand gripping the shield handle , lovely work on the fingers themselves , the arm is wrapped well with a fur line material , well detailed and held in place by cording pulling into the arm

The right arm is also holding something ...the axe handle ...nice shape and again the work on the fingers are excellent , he really is holding onto this weapon

DG Viking 90mm 017.jpg DG Viking 90mm 018.jpg

Helmet

This is cast separate which is an excellent idea as it allows the painter the easy access to the face on the main figure before fitting this helmet , , the helmet itself is as seen in the reference with eye surrounds with great work on the eyebrows and the nasal bar itself , there are cross bands which are studded into place , adding strength ....in place this really looks the business...nice on DH !!

DG Viking 90mm 015.jpg DG Viking 90mm 016.jpg

Shield/Sword/Axehead and Knife/Saxe

The shield is the round version , made of wood , no design is on it allowing you to paint whatever design you wish or you could always leave it plain wood ..but most will put a design on it I am sure .

Of note is the detail on the planking and the wood effect on both the front and back , very realistic , in the centre we have the metal boss , it has been noted that this was used also as a weapon ...I can only imagine getting hit by a shield !!!

On the reverse side we have the supporting spars running across the centre , sharply worked with good rivet work , fit is easy by matching the left hand to the centre.

DG Viking 90mm 020.jpg DG Viking 90mm 021.jpg

The sword is in a scabbard with the handle being nicely decorated , in position it looks and fits good

The Axe head and knife both are good the knife like the sword is sheathed , with the axe head being a really good shape .

DG Viking 90mm 019.jpg

Suggestion ....you might want to put a sword into the right hand and position the axe and handle into the prone and very dead figure on the base...more later.

Continued in next post

Nap
    Zastrow.cuirassier likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Onto the final piece

Base

I said this is in fact a kit with not 1 but 2 figure...well here it is ..the victim of our viking , prone lifeless on the base knee's bent up his head resting on his homeland having given his life , his has been killed by the hand axe held by the main figure this is clearly shown by the deep cut into his back ...and the axe head fits perfectly into it if you wished to do my suggestion above.

DG Viking 90mm 026.jpg
    DG Viking 90mm 027.jpg DG Viking 90mm 028.jpg DG Viking 90mm 032.jpg DG Viking 90mm 033.jpg DG Viking 90mm 034.jpg DG Viking 90mm 035.jpg
    Looking at the figure itself ...a cracking bit of work , wearing fur covered lower legs the same texture and details are very much there , at the knees there are tears , the under garment has good folds with his have a quilted and padded top , the work on this is again very good and adds some good different material to paint .

At his waist we have full looking purse ....but not too long before that is ripped off by the victorious warrior.

Good folds on the arm with the hand laying on the ground next to his head , eyes closed in death , good facial features and nice work on the facial hair and actual hair

DG Viking 90mm 028.jpg DG Viking 90mm 029.jpg DG Viking 90mm 030.jpg DG Viking 90mm 031.jpg DG Viking 90mm 036.jpg

The rest of the base is shaped close to the figure with the addition of a tree truck and rocky groundwork , the tree texture is again up to the rest of the resin in quality

There you have it a base to be proud of adding so much more interest ...really like this .

Final thoughts

I am very happy I reviewed this its a very good piece and has the bonus of the figure on the base , high quality work as usual with all of DG Artwork's releases ...a great addition to your display cabinet

Highly recommended

Lets have a couple of views of the box art again:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

For more information why not follow on FB

Have a look at the website ( you wont be dissapointed !!)

www.artworkdg.com

E mail details

dgdmodel@gmail.com

0.jpg

Thanks to DG Artwork for the review piece and to you all for looking in

Happy modelling

Nap
  4. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another fine review of a figure I've had in my sights for some time.
    Nap likes this.
  5. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Wow Nap, excellently reviewed
    Nap likes this.
  6. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    A very detailed review Nap, great write up.

Zane
    Nap likes this.
  7. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    [IMG]

Nap is changing !!!!!
    This is not a bust
    Another review on a figurine with legs and feet!
    Call a Doctor !!!!!
    [IMG]
    Nap likes this.