1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed "Wo Bist Du Amerikaner?"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by dancap3286, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Sweet Dan, every detail explicitly covered keeping the eyes moving thru the scene. Ya, I'd say you captured the moment rather well Brother, wow, awesome work!

Question, was that water affect a pain? It looks like it's flowing downstream and the figure looking in that direction adds to the affect, incredible.

Love this one lots Dan. Cheers, Ski.
  2. dancap3286 A Fixture

United-States
    whats up ski. thanks for your comments and the water wasnt really that difficult. I basically filled the river bed with rocks and pebbles. I then fastened them with white glue. I poured about a 1" thickness of tinted envirotex lite (2 part clear resin). When I say tinted I mean I just dropped a few drops of vallejo olive drab mixed with a little english uniform to give it that muddy/murkey look. you cant really manipulate envirotex lite as it dries level. when its hardening you may be able to manipulate some wavy texture or do the old aluminum foil trick but I've never had much luck doing it that way. Anyhow after the tinted envirotex lite has dried rock hard I used vallejo water effects. It's white, thick and holds a shape very well. I used a sculpting tool to apply it in a flowing manner. after a couple of days it dries clear and with the tinted resin underneath it looks the part. I just used some acrylic paints to simulate the foamy white caps. Thanks again.
    Steve Ski likes this.
  3. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Superb Diarama. As soon as I saw this I was reminded of the Santa is coming to town Diarama before I even read your text. A great piece in its own right, well done.
  4. Blunderbus Active Member

United-States
    Absolutely incredible diorama Dan. Will you be bringing this to MFCA?
    I wasn't sure I was going to go this year but it would be worth the time just to see this in the flesh.
  5. dancap3286 A Fixture

United-States
    Yep it will be there. Thank you for your comments. Drop by and say hello as well.
  6. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    I have looked at this post and these pix 6 or 8 times....each time it is more impressive than the last.
    The only question I have is............this does not likely end well for the American crew, does it?
    Simply beautiful.
    Mike
  7. dancap3286 A Fixture

United-States
    Lol Mike. I don't know who's gonna wind up on the side of the living here. That's what creates the drama. Thank you for your comments. It does look bad for the Americans though but did you see Fury??? ;)
  8. lock-n-load Active Member

United-States
    I did see "Fury"....so I will hold out hope for a "Hollywood-type" miracle for these crewmen!!
  9. dancap3286 A Fixture

United-States
    I gotta be honest with you. I kinda got the idea for the injured crewman under the M8 from Fury. The end where Norman drops out of the escape hatch underneath and just kinda hides there. I liked that idea.
  10. James O'Leary Member

United-States
    Hey Dan,

Excellent diorama. I really like the story it tells and how it is composed to lead the eye through the event to where the crew is hiding. The ground and water work is excellent. Thanks for explaining how to do the water effect. I've been hesitant to try it out, but I may now that I have read an explanation that makes sense and seems fairly easy.

Cheers,
    James
  11. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Beauty Dan, got this tutorial on paper. I'm still a bit chicken, but I'm gonna have to cross the creek, so to speak, one day or another. thx for the detailed description Dan.

Cheers, Ski.
  12. Hauke aus Rinzeldorf Active Member

Germany
    Hi, this is one of the best Dio I've ever seen, it's all been said .... everything is coherent especially the story. have always intended the Rosengrand Dio recreate ... the figures i owned already. Thank afraid inspirieration
  13. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    It dosent get much better than this Dan,I simply love dioramas and I wish I was still building them,there is so much to view here and keep the viewer occupied,it's a terrific piece of work
  14. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    That is one awesome diorama; one of the best I've seen.
  15. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Everything has been said . Great
  16. dancap3286 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks again guys. Appreciate the kind feedback.
  17. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Brilliant work (y)
    Cheers
    Jim