WIP - Custer bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi,
    I've been trying to get back in the groove with my painting lately.
    To that end, I've started a couple of new pieces as well as working on my Tarleton bust.
    Here are a couple of pictures of a bust by amati of George Armstrong Custer...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

It took me several false starts, trying to get a ruddy coloring to the face that I think would be appropriate for someone that spends a lot of time out of doors.
    For the blond hair, I think I need to add some more highlights to get it right.
    And as always, ignore the "eyes of the damned" look :| :D
    I always do the eyes last on the face.
    One great thing about the digital camera, it helps me spot things like the collar paint creeping into the hair oin a couple of places that need fixing.
    I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on how it'sloking so far. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Thanks,
    Craig
  2. ryall Active Member

New_Zealand
    Spot on!

Craig

Those flesh tones look great to me, any chance of sharing what type and colours of paints you are using.

Ryally
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He looks good so far Craig. Getting a ruddy complexion on a light skinned person is tough. Keep us posted.
  4. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Ryally...I'm one of those dinosaurs that still paints in oils, not acrylics :)
    I did something different on the flesh on this one and it's caused some problems. Instead of undercoating with the acrylic deep portrait pink I usually use, I began with the white primer only. then I covered the face with Burnt Sienna and wiped it off leaving just a good stain. Then I began adding first Winsor Newton Flesh Tint and then a mix of titanium White with Cad Yellow (mixed to a pale yellow shade) to get the flesh tones, blending them out from the high points and leaving the BS in the shadows. When this dried I began adding the secondary shadows using Brown Madder Alizarin and then Burnt Umber in the deepest shadows. That's where the trouble began. I forgot that this method leaves a very delicate base that is easily damaged :(
    For the highlights I used the same colors as before.
    I need to spray it with a coat or 2 of clear flat before I go any farther.
    Thanks for the feed back guys.
    Craig :)
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Craig,
    Fleshtones are lifelike. Great. Nothing i gonna try ( a donkey don't hit the same rock twice)....as i see the troubles you had.

Marc
  6. diosytexas Member

England
    hi craig. not my favorite bust of custer but your doing a great job, remember in the absence of a colour photo your shooting from the hip any way as far as complextion is concerned. great stuff. dave.
  7. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good fleshtones on a lovely bust,one of my favourites!
    christos
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking good Craig!

Jay H.
    OKC