1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Comrades in arms 1812

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Clarence1, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Clarence1 Member

Canada
    Hi folks,

I have started a new figure. (I know I have a lot of figures that are not finished but when I get a fun idea, I can't help it: I got to start the figure!!)

Anyway this is a figure by Andrea Miniatures. I always liked that figure cause I think there is a lot of emotions regarding this particular figure.

Here is the figure from Andrea:

[IMG]

Before I started to paint this figure, I was looking to get the feeling of the cold temperature that those soldiers could have endured during the retreat. And then,

I thought: what if the little boy on the back had died during the trip. What if the soldiers never look at him and never knew that it was too late. Then I thought

it would be a nice set-up having the soldier taking a look at the boy to see if everything was ok and see that the boy never made it in this cold temperature.

So, I had to make some change to get the impression that the boy was dead. I repositioned the head of the boy and at the same time repositioned the head of

the soldier. To cover the change, I did used some putty to redo the scarf of the soldier (I'm not a sculptor so this is not the best but I think it will do :D)

So here are the modifications:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

And then, for the paint (I use oils) I tried to find a color that will indicate that the boy is dead. I thought that a violet tone would give a good idea of the mood and

the story. Here are the last progress. I still have to do better details

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

So comments, critics, ideas, insults (well maybe not insults!!!:D) are welcome!

Clarence Prigent
    Gatineau, Qc
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Clarence,

Excellent progress so far. I like your concept of the dead child on the soldier's back. It makes the scene much more poignant.

It's a difficult task trying to replicate dead skin tones. Personally, I'd try to remove any red from your flesh mix (including what little red you used to create the violet colour) and take it towards a pale grey palette.

You've done a great job so far. Please show us more pics as you progress.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Clarence,
    I have done this figure to and must admit that your idea give's alot more when it's worked out. When somebody is dead the muscles have no tention. So it is very difficult to see that the boy is dead. The tension of the muscles has gone out of his back (Musulus Erector Spinae) and out of his belly muscles (there are four of them).
    Above that are the muscles of his arms also out of tension and therefore his hands will fall apart instead off holding each other.
    I think that you better go for a very, very tired look of the child and a worried man.

The color of dead is a pale white with violet spots on the lowerest parts. So as Tony mentioned it is really difficult to paint that.

All in all i hope this will help to end your difficult task.

Marc
  4. Clarence1 Member

Canada
    Thanks for your comments guys.

I wasn't sure if my idea would work. I'm not an expert about dead people and the fact that the muscles are released when people are dead, is a big problem for me.

I will have to change my idea. I just want to paint the face in a way to give the impression that the boy is almost frozen to death. The fact that he is tired and not moving because he is carried by the soldier would be the reason why he is almost frozen.

Anyway, I will continue to paint it in that way and see if I can get it right.

Clarence
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thats a easyer task and can be done. Look for images with Google for frozen limbs and see if you can come to the colors. They are almost the same as for burn wounds, because freezing is the same for the skin as burning. It died.

I believe you can get it right.

Marc