1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Braveheart Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by FigureLover, Jun 28, 2009.

1. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi all,
    I've had this Kirin bust in the grey army for years and thought I would do a quick paint up. The sculpting is awesome with some great detail on the uniform, the likeness is good but not spot on and I thought it would be quick and easy. I never liked the hair braids on the figure, so I resculpted the one on his right and added another on the left. I think this gives a more natural look to the way the hair is flowing.
    The first pictures are of the undercoated figure, this is first done in Tamiya White Primer and then Tamiya Flesh is airbrushed over the flesh areas. In the final shot, I have also painted in the eyes and undercoated the shirt in Humbrol 83.
    From here I will add the Oil Paints to shade the flesh. I will post the pics in the next couple of nights.
    Hope you like so far,
    Ben

Attached Files:

2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Ben,

This is a great bust to paint, although the likeness to "Mad Mel" isn't that great.

I'm looking forward to seeing this at our next meeting and on the table at WASMEx.

You've made a really good start andI hope you'll post more progress pics as you go.
  3. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Tony,
    Quick reply as usual. Cheers mate, Should be on the table for WASMEX plus a couple of others, Hopefully with a few of yours!!! Dont worry, I will be posting more pics in a day or so, progress has been made from what you see here.
    Ben
  4. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Good to see one of these again Ben, painted this many years ago.Look forward to your progress on this.

Cheers David
  5. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Nice start on the eyes Ben......will follow this one.....

Ray ;)
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good start.
    He has the look.

Marc
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    You're off to a good start Ben. Keep us posted as you progress more.
  8. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Great start.
    I thought I saw this and was homesick.
    I bought this figure before about 10 years.
    I don't remember where this went.
    I'm looking forward to your version.

Mitsutaka
  9. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Guy's,
    thanks for your comments. Sounds as though a lot of you have painted this one up before, hope I do it justice.
    More pics in a day or so.
    Cheers,
    Ben
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    good start Ben i will watch your progress with this one.

Steve
  11. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers for that Steve. At the moment he is coming along fine, just have to post the pictures.
    Ben
  12. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi again all,
    As promised, here are some update pics. Continuing on with Oils on the face, the first pic looks as though he is severly sunburnt. I have placed a mixture of Flesh Tint and Burnt Sienna in all the recesses and blended that into the base coat, this sets up the low lights of the flesh. The next pics are with some highlights of straight Flesh Tint, adding a little white as needed to achieve the highest of the highlights. I have also started to add a little Grey to the mix around the eye sockets.
    The next three photo's are of the face almost finished. I have basecoated the hair and started to shade the shirt to give better definition of the face. I have then gone in and added the beard shadow with a little Prussian Blue and Paynes grey to the Flesh, a little Pink to the lips and added a spot wash here and there to deepen some areas that needed it.
    From here, I will paint the uniform. Some pictures of this will follow in a week or so.
    Keep those brushes wet!!!
    Ben

Attached Files:

13. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hello again,
    Just adding some pictures of the progress that I have made since the last post. The first three pictures show his armoured jacket pretty much completed. Humbrols were used for the base coat and then oils in washes were used for the shadows and highlights. the studs were Model Master Chrome Silver. I have also penciled in the stripes for the tartan shawl.
    The next three pictures are of the tartan almost completed. I copied the movie box cover for the colours and placing of these stripes. they were painted in with Humbrols again and have added Oil washes over the top to fade in the colours and add depth to the folds. It looks a bit shiny at the moment, but I will give it a dull coat and do some highlights by drybrushing a touch.
    Any comments are welcome.
    Ben

Attached Files:

14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent work Ben, your bust is really coming to life. The tartan is looking really nice.
  15. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Tony, Yeah, I'm pretty impressed with how he is coming together. Need to make a plinth to stand him on so that I can finish it off.
    Ben
  16. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Here is where I'm up to now. Almost finished. The leather strap and belt is done, the tartan finished and a tad more work on the face to smooth it out. I will be putting him on a simple plinth next and then do a touch up here and there and he's done. The hair needs a slight bit of work as well.
    This was a nice quick and easy bust to do and comes highly recommended. Hope you all like him and any comments are welcome.
    Ben

Attached Files:

17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Lovely work Ben. The leather armour and strap and the tartan look very nice indeed.