1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Australian Bren Gunner, 1942 - 1/16th scale

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Chas Young New Member

Australia
    Tony, this is looking better and better. Uniform colour looks spot on. I have a question which maybe you or Phil can answer.

I see that this figure is wearing trousers with a thigh pocket. Are these British trousers? From most photographs I have seen of Australian troops in 1942/1943, the long trousers do not have this pocket...

Chas
  2. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    This is coming along great Tony. The flesh tones look great. Will look great when he is dirtied up from being in the jungle. I have always liked this figure.
    Ben
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Dan, Chas and Ben,

Chas, the pants are most likely US issue. Most of the photos and film images I've seen of the Aussies in Timor show the men wearing shorts (and not much else), but US issue clothing and equiptment were used extensively by Australian forces throughout the SW Pacific and in Timor from 1942 until the end of the war. It is also possible that these trousers may have been "liberated" from stores left behind by the Dutch colonial forces on Timor prior to their surrender to the Japanese.

Such were the extreme conditions and privations experienced by the men of 2/2 Independent Company, they were forced to improvise everything, since they couldn't rely on being resupplied from Australia by air or by sea. Indeed, for some of their time on Timor, Australian military command had no idea the 2/2 I.C. were still an operating and effective fighting unit.

It was assumed that they had been killed or surrendered to the Japanese when the island was invaded, and when 2/2 I.C. managed to build their own radio transmitter from scrounged bits and pieces (some of it stolen from the Japanese) and send a message to Darwin, the signallers in Darwin didn't believe 2/2 I.C. still existed and assumed the Japanese were sending misinformation.

I've tried to paint the shirt and the trousers a slightly different shade of khaki to account for this difference, however once they have been weathered and dirtied up, I don't think the difference will be very noticeable.
  4. Chas Young New Member

Australia
    Thanks Tony, I guess the trousers would be herringbone twills?

From my research I have found evidence that US uniform weren't as widely issued as had previously been documented. Apart from US gaiters and late war items of Aussie-made custom jungle kit, uniforms remained largely British KD.

I discovered the trousers with no pockets are actually just British KD trousers, differing from the Battle Dress trousers with the pocket. These would probably be better for this digger in Timor, but I'm not certain the herringbones were not issued.

Don't worry about it though mate, sorry for kinda hijacking your thread with my research ;)

Keep it up,
    Chas
  5. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Tony,

good looking figure! The flesh and uniform colours are spot on and I'm sure you'll complete him with a nice base, what's your plan?

I haven't seen this sculpt before, a pity it's OOP, great pose and details!!

Thanks
    Denes
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Chas and Denes,

Thanks for your comments and your interest in my latest project.

Chas, the trousers are khaki drill in colour and I agree, are probably British in origin. Thanks for your help with this. There's no substitute for good research.

Denes, I haven't decided on the base yet, but I was thinking about placing him on a muddy jungle track surrounded by jungle plants.

I've been reading several books written by men who served on Timor with 2/2 Independent Company, and their tales fill me with admiration and inspiration. Amid all the great and terrible events of WW2, the lonely and desperate plight of 300 Aussie commandos, heavily out-numbered, cut off and left to fend for themselves for over a year on a small island crawling with enemy troops, is surely one that deserves to be recounted.

They faced and tied down an enemy force of over 13,000 battle hardened troops of the Japanese 58th Division, and killed 1,500 enemy for the loss of 40 of their own men.

Most of the surving members of 2/2 Independent Company are West Australians and live here in Perth. I hope in some small way that my figure does justice to these men and if I get the chance, I hope to meet a few of them and learn more about their extraordinary exploits.

For me, this is where military figure modelling transcends a simple hobby and becomes something much more significant and personal. It's certainly not about glorifying war, but rather honouring the bravery and sacrifice of the men who fight them.
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Latest progress pics.:D:D

More work done on shading and highlighting khaki trousers and shirt. Added some more texture to beard and moustache.

Still a long way togo, but I'm pleased with the progress so far.

Comments/ criticism welcome

Attached Files:

8. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    and so you should be pleased

with the results so far.

Looking forward to seeing the figure progress, and how the finished figure looks all over.

Although beyond my current skill set, how would you add sweat patches to convey a hot/ humid environment? Just a thought (the "my figure & my display box" rule)

cheers
  9. dinovision79 Active Member

Hi Tony,

remarkable story about 2/2, not very well known battle of WWII (at least not here in Europe), they definiately deserve to be recounted.
    The figure is coming along nicely, the beard texture is very realistic!

Thanks
    Denes
  10. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Nice one Tony. After seeing this up close on Tuesday night, I was amazed how much detail you are putting into it and your over all acrylic painting skills. Keep it up. Looks great.
    Ben
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Jamie, Denes and Ben,

I greatly appreciate your encouragement.:D:D:D

Jamie the sweat stains result from a build up of layers of very dilute shadows in the "sweat zones". My mate Alan Mackie suggested I use a sepia wash to create the sweat stains, and he is, as usual, spot on.;)

I've attached a few new pics showing you how I'm building up the contrast on the uniform, and laying in the sweat areas.

I've also started to dirty the figure up and added some hair on is forearms.
    Months of hard jungle fighting would leave a soldier covered in numerous cuts and scratches. A Bren gunner's elbows and hands would be particularly bashed up. Hence the red dots on the knuckles.

Attached Files:

12. Chas Young New Member

Australia
    Ooooh I'm so jealous!! Oh well, maybe next month I'll be able to make the trek...

Great progress. The hairy arms and those small cuts and scratches look the part.

You are doing all the right stuff to make this a very emotional piece. I know an AIF veteran of the Bougainville campaign who lives near me, and I'd like to show him pictures of this once you have completed it. I'm very upset that he and other remaining veterans receive next to no recognition for their service. Society and media have always recognised Gallipoli, and recently other more 'theatrical and marketable' parts of our country's history such as the sinking and location of the HMAS Sydney. The gritty work done in Timor, North Borneo and post-Kokoda battles must not be left on the sidelines. Figures like this one Tony are a fantastic medium for drawing interest to these campaigns. Well done.
  13. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great progress Tony, keep up the good work!

Marcel.
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Chas and Denes,

It's ironic that we Australian's commemorate a doomed sideshow like Gallipoli as our national day to remember our servicemen and women. The campaigns fought by Australian and US forces in the South West Pacific Theatre during 1942-45 were some of the most brutal and savage fought, and some of the most important in our history. It's a pity Australian's don't know more about these campaigns and realise just how much we owe to the men who fought in them.

In my own small way, these figures are my way of honouring the men who fought in these battles, and in doing so made it possible for me and my children to grow up in peace and prosperity.

My eldest son Tom, is named in honour of my great uncle Tom who fought with the 2/7th Battalion in New Guinea. Tom and his brothers, Noel and Roy, all served in the New Guinea camapign and were haunted by the experience for the remainder of their lives.
  15. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    this is looking amazing!

thanks for the share

mark
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Mark,

I'm really pleased you like my progress so far and thanks for your comments.

He'll look better once I've attached the second ammo pouch and the Bren Gun.
  17. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Very nice!

Hello Tony.:)
    It's fun to see your work becoming wonderful gradually.
    A bruise of the arm and the arm from which hair grew is realistic and wonderful.
    The facial expression is also beautiful.
    I think it's difficult that wrinkles of clothes put highlights and shading in, but you're doing that well.;)
    I'm looking forward to completion of your work.:eek:
  18. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Nice details

..with cuts, scratches and so forth.

A sepia wash - sounds like a very dilute yellow ochre....would it work for US marine in Herring bone twill?

As for the Pacific campaign, there are some ideas there......[wanders off, looking thoughtful]

very god progression so far.

cheers
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Domo arigato Mitsutaka (sorry, that's all the Japanese I know:eek:)

Thanks for your kind comments my friend.

Jamie, thanks mate. Sepia is more towards the brown end of the spectrum. I made mine by mixing Burnt Umber, English Uniform and Khaki with a drop of black, and then diluting it. For US Herringbone Twill, I'd go for a green colour.
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Mud, Mud, Mud

Hi guys,

I've attacked my figure with earth coloured pastels to create the effect of deeply ingrained dirt and mud on the trousers, and to a lesser extent, the shirt. The emphasis is on the knees,lower legs and bum, where the soldier would have most contact with the ground.

The poor state of the uniform reflects the reality of guerrilla warfare in the jungle, and the fact that these fighters didn't change their clothes while on long ambush patrols.

Attached Files: