1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Winston from Cartoon Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, May 12, 2017.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to one and all

Getting the "look" of a model is so important no matter what the subject is , so when I saw the release from a fairly new company called Cartoon Miniatures I just had to smile.

the release was announced her and in social media :

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/winston.93096/

Box Art here: http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/sir-winston.89304/

The subject:
    0000000.jpg
    00000000.jpg
    Who are Cartoon Miniatures well we have seen releases from them before , all fun and as the company name implies "cartoony" , the guys are based in Russia and are in their words are

" A small team devoted to create awesome miniatures. Our aim is to produce high quality, interesting looking figures for hobbyists and painters.

Previous releases in this series include caricature sculpts of Charlie Chaplin , Bruce Lee , Fidel Castro Dali , there are other fun sculpt series including "Pirates of Everseas" , Chiba Warriors

Having a look at the website certainly brings a smile to my face looking at the models there and what I was pleased to see was full ordering details, payment , packaging they will use , and if needed returns and complaints ...all virtually a SBS and in very good english as well .

000000000.png
    The subject is of course Winston Churchill , the British wartime leader , and he is joined alongside by a dog .........symbolising the "Bulldog Spirit" of the British people .

Winston has been depicted in many cartoon pictures and wartime posters all symbolising the sheer spirit at the time , some even said that Winston looked like a bulldog!!!

0000.jpg 000.jpg 0000a.jpg

aaaaaaa.jpg 000000.jpg aaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaa.jpg aaaaaaaaa.jpg aaaaa.jpg aaaa.jpg aaaaaa.jpg
    0.jpg
    0a.jpg 0aa.jpg

0aaa.jpg 0aaaa.jpg a.jpg a0.JPG aa.jpg aaa.jpg

00000.jpg
    000000000.png
    Continued in next post

Nap
    Bootneck likes this.
  2. Bootneck Well-Known Member

One of my great British heroes Nap, looking forward to the review.
    Peter.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Details of the release:

Title: Winston

Referenece: CM-C07

Scale:54mm

Material: Gray Resin

No of pieces: 7

Sculptor: Alexander Deryabin

Box Art: Stanislav Kurylenko

Both Sculptor and the Artwork painter are here on PF : Zippo & Stanislav

The presentation is very good indeed the parts being in clear bags and sandwiched between thick foam layers this all held in a strong box wich then also has a slipover surround .

Box Art of the front and the back are included on the top and bottom with contact details on the actual box itself.
    winston 001.jpg winston 002.jpg winston 003.jpg
    Parts consist of the man himself , 2 arms, the dogs body , dogs head and of course the famous cigar and a round base
    winston 004.jpg
    Prep

Figure...remove small casting posts from under feet , tiny excess resin bits from underneath brim of hat and where jacket meets middle torso and on ears, and fit to base , small casting line on shoulders.

Arms....Slight filling and sanding at shoulders

Dogs Body.... Tiny casting lines on underside

Dog Head.... Casting lines from under mouth and fit to body

Cigar...Fit to cut out in face

Base....Remove casting block from underneath

General comments

Very small amount of work needed before you can get this to the bench itself

Casting is very good all over with the same being said of the undercuts .

Winston is in the classic fingers " Victory" pose with his left hand on his hip , the dog looks out from behind him

As I have a lot of pictures to share I will cover the Figure first separately here

Figure

Standing legs apart wearing a suit the jacket open revealing his waistcoat with a watch chain , a bow tie and a Homburg style hat all as seen in pictures many times , and of course he will have his ever present cigar in the mouth.
    winston 005.jpg winston 006.jpg winston 011.jpg winston 010.jpg winston 009.jpg winston 008.jpg winston 007.jpg
    The hat is really well shaped very sharply cast , brim slightly turned up , edged , there is a brim band around the crown again nicely done with a sown down bow mid centre on the left .

Bow tie , very well depicted , the waistcoat has edged and is held together by 3 buttons ...straining a little !! , as said very good definition and undercuts are seen ,

Across his waistcoat is the watch chain running from pocket to pocket the left one has the clear shape of the watch itself .

Stomach shape is slightly bulging and I love it ...looks good and very "Churchillian" ..it certainly adds a lot of fun to the sculpt .

Jacket again has really good definition on the shaping and the seams , its hangs naturally with well done buttons and button holes , the jacket is vented at the back .

The trousers are baggy and with good folds , again the material sits well , the trouser ends fall onto the shoes , these exhibit accurate work in the overall make up of them

Facial features are just first class , , a full face , double chinned with the mouth being well shaped as he smokes his cigar , ears and nose work are slightly full as befits this sculpt style , both again have good definition , the same can be said of the eyes , these are very good with the signs of age in wrinkles at the lower edges, the hair is textured down to his collar.
    winston 013.jpg
    Arms

The right one is held up with his hand in the famous " V" sign so well known and so much a part of his image ,, the fingers are excellent , slightly podgy in size , nice work on the nails ,both of the cuffs display 3 buttons again well shaped .
    winston 027.jpg winston 028.jpg winston 026.jpg
    The Left is sculpted with his hand on his hip , a strong pose again seen many times , fingers are clenched together.
    winston 029.jpg winston 030.jpg

Both arms have some nicely formed folds .

Fit is good to the shoulders by a resin post and a cutout , slight filling is needed

Cigar

A small piece but with equal quality in sculpting , ash is present on the end , with fit being simply a matter of locating in the hole in the side of the mouth
    winston 031.jpg

000000000.png
    Continued in next post

Nap
    Cartoon Miniatures likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Now to the remaining pieces

Dog Torso and Head

This is of course a bulldog and I LOVE it , standing in a very strong position , very muscular , all four paws making contact with the ground , , the paw details and claws are good , the body itself shows thick folds of skin , very large rear torso ...a docked tail , sitting nicely at the back , looking down we have his " pride and joy" ...well sculpted ...defnately no problem knowing this is a male animal !!!

The neck has a cutout ready for the actual head
    winston 014.jpg winston 015.jpg winston 016.jpg winston 017.jpg winston 018.jpg winston 019.jpg winston 020.jpg
    The head itself is a wonderful rendition of the breed the jowls hanging down the sides , the eyes slightly overlooked by the brow , nice eye details , at the mouth we have a couple of teeth peeking out , the ears hang folded over , near which the folds of flesh are evident .around the neck we see a strong collar , good work on the buckle.
    winston 021.jpg winston 022.jpg winston 024.jpg winston 025.jpg
    winston 023.jpg
    Now I would be remiss if I didn't mention a have slight resemblance to a well known insurance character here in UK and I am sure the image was seen !!!..not that it matters one bit...Ohhhhh Yesss!!! b.jpg

Base

This is a good sized piece textured and shaped as cobble stones , there are locating points for both the dog and the figure

winston 032.jpg winston 033.jpg
    Final Thoughts

This is a great model , full of fun and makes you smile from the time you get it to the time you paint it , great choice of subject good casting , well presented and well packaged .

I have no hesitation in saying that this is a company whose products brought the fun back to painting for me and its a pleasure to recommend this release and suggest you look at the others from them .

For more information on this and other releases go to the website at:

www.cartoonminiatures.com

visit any of these:

winston 003.jpg

Thanks to 000000000.png for the review item and of course to you all for looking in

Enjoy your modelling

Nap
    Bootneck and Cartoon Miniatures like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets now ENJOY some pictures of the box art from our very own Stanislav

Nice one my friend

Nap

aaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg a.jpg aa.jpg aaa.jpg aaaa.jpg aaaaa.jpg aaaaaa.jpg aaaaaaa.jpg aaaaaaaa.jpg aaaaaaaaa.jpg aaaaaaaaaa.jpg aaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
  6. Cartoon Miniatures Active Member

thank for review;)
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Thanks for another Superb review Kev.
    I think your sales pitch might /has swayed me to get one.
    Regards
    Keith
  8. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Keith

Glad you like it I actually am working on it at this very moment ! ..so many legs ..lol ...this is a fun build and I do like the Chaplin as well !

Fear not busts are littered everywhere !

Go on you know you want to ...a companion for Harry !

Thanks mate

Nap
    Wings5797 likes this.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Six legs from zero legs will put you right in right in the deep end Mate.
    Keep some cold towels handy to cool youth furrowed brow.
    As for Harry; he is very happy at the moment with a beautiful senorita. I just know he will have the right hump when we drive home on Tuesday .
    Good luck with all those legs,
    Keith
  10. swralph A Fixture

Thanks for all the work you put into these reviews Nap:) .
    I seriously believe you do not get enough credit here on PF for what you do.
    Babelfish and napoleonpeart like this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi guys

Thanks for the comments

Keith ..hope you can drag Harry away ..one for the ladies eh ! ..safe journey back

Ralph...as always I appreciate your comments glad you like the reviews ...always open to ideas how to improve ! ...why do reviews ...it has it's perks ...sometimes but it's because I just am so immersed in the hobby find it very relaxing as I am sure you do .

I will however be painting this piece ..yes I know it's got legs ..lots ..but don't tell anyone ..lol ...I have put him all together ...detailed the dogs bottom ..don't ask! .......should try researching that !..lol

Happy bench time to all

Nap
    swralph likes this.
  12. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    +1 to that.

- Steve
  13. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I don't usually go much for caricature models, but I do like this one. Ohhhhhhhh Yesssss.

- Steve
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Thanks for your knd +1 ..nice of you and Ralph to say .

It's a real nice piece Nate I also really like the Charlie Chaolin figure as well. .....Ohhhhh. yessssss ...lol

Thanks for looking in

Nap