1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Wimbledon Armed Forces.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Waterman, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Waterman Active Member

In these days of Military Cutbacks and Accountability , please can anyone tell me why our Armed Forces are always in attendance at the Wimbledon Tennis? They don't appear to be armed, or to be carrying out security duties. They just stand around, or are seated in the audience watching, and these personel are from all three branches of our Armed Forces. What the hell are they doing there, and why is their presence only ever at Wimbledon Year after year? Am I missing something, or is it as I think a complete waste of tax payers money? You may have gathered by now, that I Hate Tennis, and Cliff Richard.
  2. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    They are there as stewards and all volunteer; there used to be a waiting list as long as your arm to be one, not sure about now though. As the armed forces are paid 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week it isn't costing the tax payer anything and it is some small reward for serving their country. Makes a change from the arid wastelands of the middle east or being stuck in the middle of the ocean I'm sure!
    (I'm ex RAF and have been to Wimbledon on several occasions! ;) )
  3. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    They do the same at the Chelsea Flower show.
    Nice little jolly.(y)
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I'm not sure if it's the same for the Army & RAF but for the RN volunteers their time at Wimbledon is deducted from their annual leave allowance, ot it used to be.
    Personally I used to prefer spending my leave in the pub. :D
    Roger.
  5. Waterman Active Member

Well thanks for that Gents, I must say I never knew of it in my day,and if I had then that's one thing for sure i would never have volunteered for. As for a reward for serving my country, that came in the form of Payday and medals, I can't say that we got any other treats but I am not complaining.
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    They certainly do the 6 Nations rugby as well AFAIK it's not deducted from leave but as I never got to go I dunno
    Steve
  7. Waterman Active Member

So what you are all saying is that it's a Jolly for a picked few? Thanks for that.