1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Wilson Rockets pt1

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by amcairns, Oct 1, 2008.

1. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    G,day All,
    I,ve been partly inspired by the Photographer Larry Burrows who served in Vietnam ,I think he was free lance,not sure.Anyway,a photo caught my eye as a potential bust which is of a young Marine crossing a waterway carrying a Rocket launcher.
    He could,nt be more that 20 or so.Apparently he was killed 12 days after this photo was taken.I hope I do it justice.
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Andy,

Great start mate. As soon as I saw your post I recognised the scene and raced off to find my copy of "Life At War" and found the photo by Larry Burrows. According to the write up in the book, the subject of the pic was listed as MIA (Missing In Action) 12 days after the photo was taken. It doesn't say if he was killed or rescued.

Written in the front of his helmet is "Wilsons Rockets".

This will be a great subject for a bust and I'll follow your progress with interest.:)

Attached Files:

3. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    me too ! wonderfull idea.
    I hope he made it.
  4. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Andy,

You are incredibly prolific mate and unfortunately I'm not able to respond on all your posts or projects, please forgive me my online time is adhoc and sporadic at best. However was keen to respond here, so looking forward to seeing your rendition and am sure you will pay due homage to this young man. I particulary like the way you try to "get inside" the various characters you sculpt, they don't seem to be stylised portraits instead very real people and I do look forward to one day meeting you and seeing your work.

BTW that looks like a 3.5" Rocket Launcher over this shoulder aka "bazooka" and the machined round you have appears pretty well on the money. Have never seen one of these in a large scale so could be an accessory kit in it's own right.

Keep it up,

Mike
  5. Mark S Guest

Great idea,Andy.Nice bust.
    I like the work so far on the wet shirt.
    I also admire your capacity for turning out these great pieces but don't forget to sleep now and then,mate!!
  6. EFO New Member

Wet T-shirt contest

Hi Andy,

I think you have captured him pretty good. You have got the youth look to him :) The wet T-shirt like Mark pointed out does look good indeed. Thank you for sharing your talent.

Take care,
    Ed
  7. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great subject choice Andy and im sure you will do it justice.

Steve
  8. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thankyou All

Thanks for the great feedback!.For me its getting to the stage where the uniform takes second place to the character in being,dont get me wrong the uniform still plays its part,but if I can get an ounce of likeness that portrays the expression in this or any portrait I would be happy.That to me tells the story.
    Thanks again for your support,it all helps.
    Andy
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    What a wonderful choice of subject! I think you've captured the likeness and expression perfectly. This will be a great bust, Andy. No kiddin'. :)

All the best,
    Dan
  10. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Wilson

Hello ,
    Not much has changed.Getting the look right is the tricky bit. have elongated the chin slightly.Comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

11. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    a bit more progress

Hello All,
    The last photo did,nt show a lot of progress,but the Flak Jacket is being done here.Comments welcome.
    Andy

Attached Files:

12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Andy,

You've really captured the essence of this character. The details on the flak jacket are excellent.
  13. ryall Active Member

New_Zealand
    Nice work

You have done a great job on this!
    Well done
  14. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great work on this figure, the jacket looks very nice!

Marcel.
  15. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello All,
    I,ve added some paint to the eyes to see if there is a resemblence at all.Your comments would be welcome.Its so easy to change the expression unintentionaly while painting,anyway here goes.
    andy

Attached Files:

16. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent work Andy!

To me there is quite a bit of likeness, well done!

Keep it up.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Great work Andy,

I think you've nailed the likeness of the Marine in the Burrows photo.

I'm looking forward to seeing him completed.
  18. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great work Andy the eyes look great only the skintone looks a bit to reddish to me.