1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Wilma and the dragons gift

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by Klaus not Santa, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Hi there,

well, my first official post after the intro ;)

Besides scratch-building and painting I recently got into 3D sculpting (about a year now) and the first model I did was my Wilma (the astronaut*)
    IMG_E0833.JPG

Since I had so much fun with her, I decided to continue working with her.
    She's now kind of stranded in one or more parallel universes and stumble from one adventure to the next :sneaky:
    Stranded-Canteen-bald.jpg

And the latest model I just completed.
    Wilma and the dragons gift
    DragonQueen6.jpg
    DragonQueen7.jpg
    DragonQueen8.jpg
    DragonQueen9.jpg

I can't wait to see her printed :happy:
    Print-file.jpg

I hope you like her too.
    Cheers
    Klaus

*there is a story behind it :)
    When participating in the "Massive Voodoo MV challenge 2020" it was all about tiny little astronauts. I built several little scenes and the overarching theme was Wilma and her husband Vladimir and their adventures. So Wilma is actually bringing her from the really tiny little model to a real "bust"
    Scotty, kagemusha, Nap and 4 others like this.
  2. Henk Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I like that. A lot. But I must say, the dragon looks more like a lizard, or a T-Rex. Is this a personal endeavour or will this be commercially available in the future?
    Klaus not Santa likes this.
  3. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Klaus

Your certainly busy with Wilma's story ....Obviously your rather good at the sculpting !

The "pet" she has on her shoulder looks good as well , agree with Henk , he does look a bit TRex ....the teeth looks impressive

If I may she has no hair .....is this deliberate ?

Commercial potential as well IMO

Hope we see a painted version

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Klaus not Santa likes this.
  4. Thank you :)
    Well first off I don't intend to do anything commercial with her - it's a hobby for me and I want to keep it that way. Right now I wouldn't feel comfortable selling her and then people complaining about this and that and quality and all that - been there, done that :)
    As for the dragon - the come in all shapes and sizes, don't they? Of course there are the horned ones, the traditional Asian ones and so forth. Some come with insectoid eyes (Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider of Pern series).
    Yeah, maybe it looks T-Rex-ish or like a lizard, but hey :D

As for the hair - yes actually it is intentional. For one I was planning to give her an tattoo along the neck and up to her skull.
    I also did several versions of the "Standed" Wilma, some with hair, some with helmet. But for some reason I just love her bald :p
    DAN-Stranded.jpg PET-Stranded.jpg Stranded-Canteen-Helmet.jpg Stranded-Binoculars-bald.jpg
    Nap likes this.
  5. Henk Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    To avoid any doubt Klaus, I was not having a pop at the dragon, just an observation. Its is a very nice figure. It's a pity (but understandable, i know what you mean) that it wont be available. She looks good bald, I also think she'd look good with a mohawk ;).
    Nap and Klaus not Santa like this.
  6. Oh no! Please, none taken!
    Absolutely, your feedback was absolutely good - that's why I'm posting here - not to get praise - but rather to get feedback and comments. I'm not easily hurt :)

BTW, the first print is done.
    241236832_4368417966529915_4377333142733737410_n.jpg

But I have an error at the back of her head, needs extra support there
    241507094_4368418006529911_62251948240293325_n.jpg

And I need to angle the sculpt in the print file, otherwise some of the teeth don't quite work
    241512805_4368418139863231_8926444959969915837_n.jpg

But I'm quite pleased with the details :)The new file is already printing - 8 hrs to go :D
    Cheers
    Nap and Scotty like this.
  7. Henk Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    8 hrs??!! Does it take that long?

Digital and the incredible detail possible with 3d printing is one of those strange things, which you see before your very eyes, but dont feel right. A bit like aeroplanes....:D

Btw, in the first picture the surfaces look rather shiney and smooth, but the other two pictures show a tantalising glimpse of the surface textures. I've also just realised that Wilma has kevlar hands...
    Nap and Klaus not Santa like this.
  8. Hehe - actually the whole print is 12 hours - due to the angle.
    Remember it is built up in tiny layers, each layer takes a few seconds to "expose" the resin to the UV light, then lift the platform, sink it back down, expose, lift.... you get the idea ;)
    Nap and Henk like this.
  9. The new print is done and it worked quite a lot better
    39339787-839E-4607-AFC8-04F244F08DD5.jpeg

And she‘s ready to be primed
    6C982ED8-CEF1-44B3-8F5A-85D17719360F.jpeg
    Nap and Henk like this.
  10. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Klaus

Thanks for all replies , fully understand ref not commercial ....we are all enjoying this , like the variations on Wilma

It's good to see the actual 3D resin Print before cleaning up

12hrs ....more patience than me I reckon ...lol

Look forward to seeing more on this

Happy benchtime

Nap