William Wallace bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hello all,
    It's been a while since I've posted anything. Just seemed to hit a little slump. But I've finally managed enough to be worth posting an update.
    Here's a little background on it...
    It's an OOP piece from Ft. Duquesne of William Wallace. It's a big 1/5th scale piece in resin. I redid the chain mail by grinding it out, packing the void with epoxy putty and laying in dozens of strands of thin necklace chain from a craft store.
    These 2 pictures show the chain mail painted and the helmet painted but in need of some highlights. The big progress is that I've gotten the face and hair painted. The hair is usually a problem area for me but I think I've got a method now with results that I like.
    First thing is to paint it all over with Naples Yellow and let it dry...

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Then I started adding streaks of different shades of browns using thin washes. On this one I used Burnt Sienna, Sepia and Raw Umber. Then I just blended them out a bit. After they dried, I added another thin wash of Raw Umber to the entire area. By the way, these are al oil paints, not acrylics.

Attached Files:

3. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Another view...
    As always, I'd appreciate hearing any comments and especially constructive criticisms you may have for me.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He's looking great Craig
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    He is looking well Craig,
    But dont you think you must highlight. I think it is to dark. Highlighting will do stand out some strains of hair.
    But i think you know that as a great paiter and sculptor.

Marc
  6. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hello Guy and Marc,
    Thanks for taking the time to comment here.
    Marc, I'm probably not going to do too much more to highlight the hair on this one. It's such a big piece that too much highlighting might make it look too unrealistic (my opinion only :) )
    But I'm not too happy with the face though. According to the information sheet that came with the piece, it was appropriate to paint him with fair skin. But I feel mine came out without enough contrast. The deep colors came out okay but there isn't enough contrast between the overall color and the highlights. So I may go back and repaint the face with m usual mix. This will make him a little darker but with the hair coming out a darker shade than I planned I think it will look all right.
    Thanks again to you both. I'll post some more pictures when I get the changes made.
    Craig
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    craig,

In my opinion (and who am I to critisice your work) the face is alright.
    I see alot of fair skin's here at my work. They don't have in reality not so many different colours. Most at the time they are very pale.
    For me i think you captured the skin very good. Maybe highlighting with only wite on some spots will do the job.
    But, this is just a novice speaking.

Marc
  8. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    I agree with marc, just a little bit white, thats all. Good job so far.
    And when you give him pupilles he get again another look.