1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

William Wallace bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    This is an OOP bust by Ft. Duquesne Miniatures of William Wallace. It's another huge piece like the El Cid bust I just finished.
    What I'm doing here is replacing the molded in chain mail with strands of necklace chain from a craft store pressed into epoxy putty. It's only about two thirds of the way around so far.
    I'm doing this for 2 reasons. First, the chain mail as is comes wasn't very impressive to me. I thought it detracted from the rest of the bust. Second, there was a big clump of resin in the back that needed to be removed and it was right in the middle of the mail there. I figured that since I'd have to try and duplicate it there anyway, I may as well replace it all.
    Wish me luck
    Craig

---Edit---
    I've replaced the original picture with one showing the chainmail completed. I hope to get the figure in primer tomorrow night. When I do, I'll put up a new thread showing how it looks.
    Craig 8/10/2005

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Back view.

Attached Files:

3. Brad S Member

Craig,

I like the necklace idea. It appears to be very realistic. Can't wait to see the painting.

Brad Spelts
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Craig, that is really a nice figure, I like your idea about the chain.

Fort Duquesne produced some of the finest figures, pity the company went under, albeit I never liked the man behind the company, I did like the product.

Cheers.
    Roc.
  5. Cicero New Member

Albania
    The necklace as a substitute for chain mail is realy a splendid idea. I'm sure Wallace will turn out as beautiful as your El Cid bust.

best regards

Johan ;)
  6. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Craig
    Very clever idea using the necklace and it looks the part.Look forward to see this one being painted
    Brian
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Craig,
    This is a great idea that i never seen before, even thought of it.
    Splendid.
    And now up to the painting.

Marc
  8. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for taking time to respond. I appreciate it.
    I picked up this bust and the Robert the Bruce bust at the IPMS Nationals last month. Pretty good score considering I didn't expect to find much in the way of figures. I also lucked out in that these are both original Ft. Duquesne castings. Although I get the feeling that these both copi8es that Jim J. might not have allowed out under normal circumstances. Both had more problems to them than was normal for his products. The base to the Robert the Bruce was so bad that I've opted to remove it completely. And the problem with the Willian Wallace chain mail looked like the result of a mold used one time too many. But otherwise, I'm very happy with both of these pieces.
    Craig