1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

William Johnson's "Warrior Chieftain", 1755

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Mar 17, 2005.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, From my research the feathers along with the gorgets were given to the chieftains or "captains" of the natives that Sir William Johnson was able to recruit to fight along side Crown forces (British). I'm going to make a "new" more irregular roach for the bust.~Gary
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Brad, Sculpey can be a tricky medium to work with. If I need to add a second layer that is fairly thick I prepare the first layer by rough sanding it. I then take some Sculpey diluent (the liquid stuff that comes in a little bottle that brings old sculpey to life) and rub it all over the first layer. When you add additional layers and then bake them they should bond really well. It's typical for sculpey to crack or fracture if you carve into another layer, it has happened to me several times. It a matter of learning the medium.~Gary
  3. quang Active Member

Belgium
    If you say so, Gary! ;)

In retrospect, it might be well plausible as ostrich feathers were fashionable in Europe in the decades BEFORE the Seven-Years War/FIW period. The presents and trading items destined to the natives would come from left-over stock once they fell out of fashion in Europe as was often the case (e.g. silk ribbons).

Pure speculation of course but enjoyable all the same! ;)

Looking forward to see your 'new' roach.

Best wishes,
    Q.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well, I would not make it up.~Gary
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful sculpting, Gary! I'm not into Indians or busts particularly, but I can recognize talent!

all the best,
    Dan
  6. Brad S Member

Mark,

Thanks. I'll give it a try. Never used the diluent. Give that a try also.

Brad Spelts
  7. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Oops! Slight misunderstanding there. :eek:

I didn't mean to question your word. My only concern was the reliability of the source.

Q. :)
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, It's all good. If I doubdted the source I would have substituted it with something else or left it off entirely. I admit it is an odd kind of feather for a Native to have, but given the variety of items traded or given as gifts it's not out of place.~Gary
  9. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Ostrich feathers were often represented on the first half of the 19th cent. portraits of Eastern Indian chieftains by painters like Charles Bird King or Catlin.

The fact that I haven't seen any on earlier paintings explains my doubts. Of course it doesn't prove anything :( .

In any case, it's discussion/speculation like this which makes this hobby of ours so exciting. (y)

Q.
  10. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Go look here guys :

http://www.nativetech.org/seminole/turbans/index.php

It's about the use of ostrich feathers by the Seminole ... the chiefs however apparently used large white Crane feathers... so there's a possibility that they plucked the tails of Whooping cranes. Only the most skilful hunters would be able to get a shot at the big Whooper, as it's a very wary bird. Anyway, large white ostrich-like feathers might come from this American bird species.

So, originally, perhaps the best warriors and leaders used the large white tail feathers of the Whooping crane (Grus americana) ? And then when "white man came across the sea" (... I was always an Iron Maiden fan :) !) the rest of the braves might have traded for Ostrich feathers from the Old world ?
    Parts of cranes were certainly used by native americans - think about that Crow shield with that Crane head.

In any case, don't try to pluck a whooper's tail yourselves to see if that's what they used - I heard the few remaining Whoopers in America are closely watched over by authorities. ;)
  11. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    I really can't comment on the accuracy of the assorted accesories as I know very little about the subject..
    But blimey Gary.....he's gorgeous...... :)

All the best....Roy.
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, thanks for ALL the comments. This type of discussion helps to make this site what it is. It is my aim to make this as accurate as I (and my references) will allow. This bust looks to be heading for commercial production, and Quang's comments regarding it will help to make it a better sculpture. Thanks.~Gary
  13. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Sakes alive, Gary! That's looking really nice! I hope you'll consider doing a bust or two for commercial release.
  14. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I agree with the others Gary. I think it's one of your best. I don't paint busts, but this one I may have a go at.
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks, I do really appreciate the kind comments.~Gary
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's the bust with further work done on all of the adornments. I redid the roach and believe this an improvement over the first. I'm wondering if I should make the ends of each section pointed instead of flat.~Gary

Attached Files:

17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    another view.

Attached Files:

18. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Superb, all I can say is: WOW!

Greetz,

Gino
  19. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Gary,

The 'new' roach is much better (correct volume) but IMO can be improved further by making the end of the hairs more pointed and separated in a 'sprouting' fashion (like a fireworks).

Another detail that can be improved upon is the headband. Eastern tribes wore elaborately beaded and adorned headbands much more like turbans than a simple head cloth (like Apache fashion). Apart from being a characteristic of Eastern tribes, it would be an added interest to the bust IMO.

Another cavaet would be the ostrich feather which was usely a rather large, droopy affair (think Las Vegas chorus line).

The paintings date from the early 19th cent. but are fairly representative of Eastern tribes 'fashion' a century back.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

My best wishes for a great bust in the making. :)

Q.
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, thanks for your comments. Here are my thoughts.

Roach I feel the even flat edges of each section do not work as well as pointed ones would. I'm going to work on that further.

Headband In this case the headband was used as a field sign to separate those natives allied with the French from those of the British. Those natives attached to Roger's Rangers had red strips of cloth tied to the barrels of their muskets to show they were friendly.

Feather A little heat applied to the feather will help to give the feather some droop.

Those illustrations would make neat projects themselves.~Gary