1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

William Johnson's "Warrior Chieftain", 1755

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Mar 17, 2005.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ernesto, Thank you very much.

Guy, Thanks. This is what I have in mind.

Wong, thank you, I'm glad your enjoying this.~Gary
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    How do you go about curing it when you use heat? It sounds like either you have some bad Apoxie, or that your heating source is too hot.

Only time I have experienced problems with bubbles is if there is an air pocket underneath the curing putty. And if you use a crock pot, even this is a minimum. I use a standard 100W lightbulb, it will cure it rock solid in less then 10 minutes and it dont blister the putty and makes it a lot more carvable, just seams like when heat cured the putty gets to be lot harder and easier to carve.
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anders, I just baked the latest version of the gorget (#4 I think) under the heat of a 60w bulb. I think I just had the heat too high, which is what caused the problem. I put the oven on 250 degrees and then turn it off after preheating 5 or so minutes. I then wait another 5 minutes before putting the piece in the oven.~Gary
  4. Pete Wenman Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary hi

Don't know how, but I've missed this thread to date.

What can I say, - terrific sculpting , and the SBS means we can all learn from your progress. Thanks for taking the time and effort.

I love to paint busts, but don't ever think I could sculpt one :angry:

P
  5. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Gary,

I have nothing to say except that I'm enjoying this s-b-s immensely.

(y) (y) (y)

Q.
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Pete, Thank you. Give sculpting a try.

Quang, Thanks, I've reworked a lot of the features several times. I love doing eyes and ears and try to give them their own look.~Gary
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are a few views of the knot for the headband/scarf. Also note the few sections of braided hair. I have a little more detailing to do on these.

Attached Files:

8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view.

Attached Files:

9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Gary!

That is some superb sculpting!! Looking forward to see next step!
  10. rafaelega Active Member

Spain
    Excellent bust. I am very interested in looking it finished!

Rafa
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Gary,

I have followed it from the beginning. This is a real piece of art.
    Wonder iff he is gonna be commercial available in the future.

Marc
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marc, Thanks I appreciate it. I need to finish him off seeing that he's so close to being complete.~Gary
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm working on the detail parts on this bust. I have to finish the quilled handle on the neck knife. A ribbon and the remainder of the gorget trim needs to be completed. The deer hair roach on the head needs some work. It's hard to replicate fine hair items such as this. The brass wire shows the position of what will be a quilled hairstick. The last thing will be a few strands of braided hair, one on each side of his head.

Attached Files:

14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's the back.

Attached Files:

15. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Gary,

The bust looks very good so far. The gorget is spot on.

Somehow I'd have a few caveat concerning the roach. It looks far too rigid to me. Keep in mind that most of the ornaments used by the American Indians were 'kinetic' in design, that is they were destined to be seen in movement (either caused by the wind or by the wearer moving). Best demonstrations are the dances in the modern pow-wows.

Here's an example of a roach that should be suitable to your subject. Note the central quilled disc acting as a 'spreader' and the oft-neglected fastening thongs.

[IMG]

Other variations can be found HERE.

HTH :)

Q.
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, Do you think then it would be an improvement to make it more irregular? Thanks for your comments.~Gary
  17. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gorgous sculpt gary, I really starting to like your busts! Will this be a commercial kit or is it a one off?
  18. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Definitively. And it should not be so 'full' either.

The most common error is to take the modern 'dance' roaches as seen in modern pow-wows as a reference. 18th and 19th cent. samples are quite pathetic-looking in comparison (not as big, colourful or symmetrical).

I'd also have some reservation concerning the use of ostrich feathers in the FIW but I could be wrong. What are your sources?
  19. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Got to hit the sack. It's 04.27 AM over here! :eek:

Good Night Irene! :lol:

Q.
  20. Brad S Member

Gary,

This is great! I have been really getting into different indian figures and this is beautiful. One question on the sculpey though, I tried doig a bust with sculpey about a year ago and after the 1st baking the subsequent layers that were baked seemed to adhere, but after doing some carving, they would break off from the original baking. Does this make any sense? What am I doing wrong? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Brad Spelts