1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique William George Drummond Stewart

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ghamilt1, May 20, 2013.

1. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Everyone. Been a good long while since I've posted anything, so I finally had some energy to take pictures of one of my latest efforts (still not happy with the pictures:grumpy:). This is Maurice Corry's 120mm figure of Capt. Stewart during the Indian Mutiny. When I saw it released I just had to have it, and I haven't been disappointed. It was a great figure, went together perfectly and was a pleasure to paint. The only departure from the stock figure was the sword blade which was very delicate, and my copy was slightly warped. So rather than risk bending it back into shape and ruining it, I opted for making a new one out of metal tubing, which I pounded out flat and filed to shape.

This is also the figure which my cat took issue with, and knocked off the shelf, and as you can see he survived that fall quite nicely, with only a few minor repairs needed. Solid casting I'd say.

Please feel free to leave your comments, criticisms and suggestions. And as always, thank you all for having a look. Cheers everyone!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Marco22, Tonton, jerry and 4 others like this.
  2. Oldironsides Guest

United-Kingdom
    I like the skin tones and the tartan.

It appears your cat has the same curiosity genes as mine and I'm pleased the damage was minimal. I'm going to have to invest in a cat proof glass cabinet!
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nice - must have been a b*tch to paint that colour with those deep folds. Your cat is clearly not as destructive as mine are.

Colin
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely detail work Glenn.
    Looks as though it passed the cat encounter,
    Carl.
  5. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Mark, Colin and Carl. The folds on the standard do present a challenge but perhaps because of the scale, I didn't find it too difficult. All may rest assured this and all the other figures in my collection are safely behind glass or closed doors.
    housecarl likes this.
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent work Glenn. I'm sure that cabinet of yours must be getting rather full by now!! The tartan is exceptionally good mate, even by your own lofty standards.
  7. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Tony. You know how it goes; always room for one more figure, right? I have my eye on the newest release from Moz, the Scots officer from the Crimea, so that will afford me some more tartan practice. Thanks for your kind words. Cheers.
  8. jakbwrhr Active Member

Australia
    Superb figure and wonderful painting...

you've given him the wrong tartan! The argyll tartan is very close to that worn by the Black Watch (identical in many ways...with the only difference being how the sett is placed). You've painted and MacKenzie tartan as worn (in varipous themes) by the HLI, Seaforth Highlanders and others...

Still a superb job
  9. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    I'm going to blame google on that slip up. I "google-image" searched 93 Highlander tartan, and that's what came up. Damn you googles!!! Still, I am happy you liked the paint job even if it wasn't the right pattern.
  10. Don Well-Known Member

Glenn, how are you? Was going to send you a PM rather than post on here about the tartan, too late now.
    Nothing wrong with the tatan, very good actually, pity about the other wee problem.
    Like what you have done with the figure, very nice indeed.
    Are you coming back to Euro this year?

Don
  11. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Don! Very kind of you as always. I do feel a little silly for not taking a few more moments to actually look something like that up, but what's done is done.
    I am doing well, very busy at work with the school year winding down. I would love to come back to Euro, and keep scheming to find a way to do it. But distance and expense, combined with a lovely wife who keeps a very close eye on my travels conspire to keep me away. One of these years though, she's going to let her guard down...
    I hope you're keeping well, and thanks for the encouragement.
    Don likes this.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work Glen,
    I think the pictures don't do justice to your work.

Marc
  13. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    As usual, stunning work Glenn!

Gary
  14. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Marc, I know that is an easy excuse, but it is true that the figure does look better in person. Thanks also Gary, Don't know if I can make it to Nanton this year which is a shame. I haven't seen the Lancaster there in years and it would be fun.
  15. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Nicely done and great kilt.
    Cheers
    John
  16. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks John, kind of you to say so.