1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Why prime in black?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Wayneb, Jan 4, 2024.

1. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    It's always been grey for me......Any advantage......?

Wayne
  2. Ferris A Fixture

Not a fan of it, but it ensures all hard to reach and forgotten areas are black, i.e. in dark shadow.
    Perhaps there are other benefits I’m not aware of.

Adrian
  3. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Primer diversity
    bigtodd, Blind Pew, sd0324 and 2 others like this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    That’s exactly why I use black ...it does take more to actual get a colour build up

Think really it’s a personal choice .....some don’t prime whatsoever , others use a white

Nap
    David Spencer and Ferris like this.
  5. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As a fan of dark & muted palettes (for most subjects) I like priming in black as I find that it helps get you a more dark & muted overall finish. Darkening hard-to-reach areas is another benefit that Adrian has already mentioned.

On smaller pieces (from 75mm downwards) I sometimes prime in black with an after-spray of white or grey angled down from above to help pick out the finer details to aid in painting them. It depends on the piece.

- Steve
  6. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    On a grey figure I use white primer to ensure coverage. If the figure is very light in color I use grey primer for the same reason.
    Rick
  7. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    All sounds logical.....what about bringing back the lighter colors such as flesh in particular on smaller figures in detail such as the face and eyes ?
    Too much paint in those fine details is not a good thing for detail. Don't blow a gasket pondering this question. I'm just wondering if I should try it.

Wayne
  8. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great question. I've seen guys have all sorts of success with either method. I know the Tamiya primers are in a brick/sand kind of colour. Not only that, but I've seen blokes get a result with priming in a gloss black, believe it or not. I suppose it can be taken on a figure-by-figure basis. I use Halfords white matt...
  9. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I rarely prime; just add another coat of the basic colours prior to shading and highlighting.
  10. bigtodd PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I tried all colors and found it does not matter. I don't need the black base and white zenithal top down spray as I have been painting for forever. I love Mr. Surfaced and it comes in different colors now. Not sure if it will matter but will be testing in the future.
    Blind Pew likes this.
  11. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    When it comes right down to it..........Who cares what you prime with......It's the end result that matters.....

Wayne
    Ian Pen and bigtodd like this.
  12. bigtodd PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

And welcome Wayne to the conversation........
  13. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the heads up Todd......I got a good memory .....It's just short........

Wayne:D
    bigtodd likes this.
  14. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    We all have our own ways and means which we think are best. which is why
    questions like this are so interesting. Black always looks like a "shadow" and
    it makes it easier when you don't have to paint all the way down into all those
    recessed areas on the model... just leave them black? Surely not. I find that
    really scary. For me the primer is just a key for the paint - the colour is totally
    irrelevant.

Mike
  15. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I just use Tamiya fine grey primer….only for a key to the paint and also as a spot primer for highlighting defects.
  16. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've often wondered why. My son used black on his Lord of the Rings figures. I tend to use white, grey or sand depending on what colour goes on top.

Mike
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Maybe you have ....
    ...bit like the vocabulary ...I have amended the post !

Thank you

Nap
  18. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Brain Fart...............Thanks Nap
    Nap likes this.