1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Who said "mini" ?

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Calvin, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Calvin Member

There are small, normal, big and huge kits. But there are also "excessive" kits and this is one of them, just 12" (30 cm.) tall...

It is a beauty, at least for me, and its size is really impressive. I do not have an airbrush, so highlights and shadows are a great pain while using brushes and acrilics on this scale. Rendering them as on a 54mm is almost impossible, but on the other hand it is also true that at this scale the natural light does most of the work once finished the paintjob.

The shots are not so good (after a session of one hour with the digital camera I just give up), but hope they could give you an idea about the overall result.

Thanks for looking.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome work Luca. He is one good looking Batman.
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Holly bust-ups Batman! That is one big bat! Two thoughts Luca, and you can yell back all you want! I think the lips look too red for me, almost as if he has lipstick on. The pupils in the eyes look a bit small for my tastes as well. I really like the subtle shading on the cloak and chest though. I can imagine this was quite a challenge!

Jay H.
    OKC
  4. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Have to agree with Jay there, Luca; the lips seems a little too red to me too;). Perhaps its the lighting ? Awesome bust, nonetheless. WELL DONE !!!
    Kenneth:)
  5. Calvin Member

Thanks for your notes. This is a shot I took with natural light, now it looks a bit more like in the flesh.

[IMG]

Yes, the pupils are smaller than usual and the lips way red because I tryed to achieve a more moody, ghost-like look (not sure if these are the correct terms).

It is also true that the lips look so red due to the #$xyz@$ orange reflected light I have in the room and to the contrast with the so pale flesh tone (way pale in respect of what you see in the picture, I cannot get rid of that orange halo while shooting).

Most of shine of the previous pictures was just a reflection side effect while shooting with bulb lights.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Luca,
    I like this bust. Your painting is awesome. But, i thought you painted Batgirl.
    With other words, i think you paint to lips to red.
    Further, great, great work.

marc
  7. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    I like him very well, specially the eyes. Thanks for sharing that job.
    You work with blueish tones into the black?
  8. Calvin Member

Thanks Marc.

Stephan, I didn't use the black colour as a base coat, just a very dark gray with a bit of dark blue. Highlights were made with the same mix + offwhite while only for shadows I added a bit of black.
  9. Choibolsan (CHART) New Member

Canada
    IMHO there should be some gray shades on his cheeks (every man has after good shaving).
    And latex on his forehead ... as far as I remember myself in a swimming cap, I hadn't such deep wrinkles on it. :)

However, well done work overall.
  10. Calvin Member

Hi Choibolsan, I didn't paint any dark shade on the face to achieve the maxiumu possible contrast with the mask. Yes, the wrinkles on the forehead and around the nose looks a bit deep, but they are sculpted that way, I think it is about the style of the sculptor who did the piece.