1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Who makes a good book on the Uniforms and weapons of the British Camel Corp

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Von Bock, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello, Just getting some information ready on an idea I have be awhile before I start it so I looked around no real luck who makes a good book on the Uniforms and weapons of the British camel Corp in the Sudan Wars? I don't get to check the site as often as I like so please feel free to E-mail me any thoughts or ideas on a book didn't see one by Osprey but thinking along those lines. You can contact me at Emberzilla1(at) Yahoo (dot) com. Thank you for your time and help. Regards, Brock
  2. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  3. Nap Moderator

England
  4. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Mirofsoft, theBaron and Nap like this.
  5. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you guys for all the info. Very helpful and useful. Regards, Brock
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I'm surprised-two of those plates in Nap's post are from Osprey books, but searching their website ("british camel corps", "camel corps"), didn't return any titles dedicated to the subject. They do have several books on the British army in the Sudan, and I suspect that those include content on the Camel Corps, like those plates. But that would be another source, if you could find a specific title.

Prost!
    Brad
    oldtrousers likes this.
  7. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As the Camel Corps were assembled mainly as a mounted infantry regiment, much of the equipment would be of infantry heritage, with riding breeches, bandoliers, carbines, etc sourced from wherever possible. The blue/grey jackets were originally a hot weather concession to replaces the red tunics, but in true fashion they were customised in regimental fashion with the addition of cloth patches, etc. There were regulations laid down, but it is unlikely that they were rigidly adhered to, as befitting the slightly ad hoc nature of the units themselves!(y)
    Nap likes this.
  8. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Brad,
    The top plate is from Osprey Men-At-Arms #201 The British Army on Campaign (4), and the last plate is from Osprey Men-At-Arms #59 The Sudan Campaigns 1881-98. The Camel Corps and Gordon Relief Expedition are subjects which I am very interested in. These two books, outside of a few magazine articles, are really all that is published concerning the uniforms of the Camel Corps as far as I know.

Scott
    theBaron likes this.
  9. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you Brad and Scott. Looking at some wonderful figures of the Camel Corps painted up on goggle they range in color from almost a royle blue to a very light blue to a grey color on the tunics found one photo from a museum that has it a grey blue and kind of dark but after all it is a museum piece that hasn't seen the weather and wear of the Sudan. Perhaps I'm putting to much worry in the color. Regards, Brock
  10. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  11. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

VonBock,
    What figures of the Camel Corps are you working on? I have a couple by Beneito eagerly waiting for me to start on along with a few from Troop54 and a fantastic little vignette from Onira farther back in the stash.

Scott
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Von Bock

If you have access them there's a series of articles all about the campaign and cameltroops in old editions of Military Modelling

Look forward to seeing the figures

Nap
  13. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Or Serie 77, those also present at Suakim
    Serie 77 3 (2)Red.jpg
    theBaron, Nap and oldtrousers like this.