1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Which the best books step-by-step ?

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Orlando, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Orlando New Member

Dear friends,

I would like your help please .

I would like to buy the books step-by-step sculpting military figures 1/35.

Where to find ?

Which the best books step-by-step ?

I would like a bibliography with best books , please .

Thank you very much !
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Orlando, Check into these books.

Euro Modelismo Monograph, Sculptin and body language By Mike Blank
    Acion Press

Bill Horan's Military Modelling Masterclass, Published by Windrow & Green

Building and painting scale figures By Shepard Paine, Published by Kalmbach Books

These are probably the best if not among the best books that describe and or show scratchbuilding techniques.~Gary
  3. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Orlando,

If I have to choose just ONE book, it'd be the Shep Paine's book. It's where it all started. (y) (y) (y)

Also check out other books by Shep Paine about dioramas or model photography. They're ALL worth having and studying.

HTH

Quang
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Orlando, Also look at books that deal with sculpting larger works. there's always good information to be had in regards to proportions and techniques.~Gary
  5. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    another is also Conversion and scratch building of model figures from Andrea. A little thin and disjointed perhaps, but has useful armature diagrams for total scratchbuilding. Maybe there still isn't a single publication out there.

I think for Scratchbuilding, the Shep Paine book and the Andrea one are the best.

Mike Blanks and Bill Horans are closer to "ultimate conversions" using existing heads etc for their figures.

All these titles are first class though.

And as Gary says, don't limit yourself to model only books - many books on anatomy and sculpting of other subjects are just as applicable
  6. minimaker New Member

Hi,

what's exactly in "Sculpting and body language" By Mike Blank? I don't know that book yet and am wondering how much there is on body language.

As to sculpting reference info, I've put a lot of book titles and links over here: minivault forum

Bye, Ming-Hua