1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Which first, the chicken or the egg?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by kurtj, Dec 21, 2020.

1. kurtj PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    My question regards painting uniform rank markings, cyphers and devices on shabraque or on sabretaches. Often cyphers and such can be quite intricate. In order to have more precise control, is it better to paint image first and when done fill in the main background color? I haven’t painted in many years, and I am trying to figure out my approach. I would try several practice attempts on paper first before doing the final one on the figure. I was thinking of outlining the resulted image with very finely tipped micron pens ( they have a 003 and 005 available ) after it is painted. I could then seal the result in clear before painting the background color in its darkest shade. I’m guessing that would be better than trying to paint the image on a previously painted background. Of course I’ll have to experiment a bit. I’m just looking for suggestions, before I try it.

Of course, I also thought I could paint a much larger version on paper, shrink that to the appropriate size and make a decal. ( I would have to locate someone with an Alps printer to help). That seems kind of sacrilegious to me.

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.

Kurt
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    You haven't said which scales you are working in. My advice would be to paint the background colour first then the design. Are you using oils or acrylics?
  3. kurtj PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I plan to be in 54mm scale. My ultimate goal is oils, I’d use acrylics if it would give me a better result. So overall I guess a mixed media undertaking. I was also wondering about coverage concerns like white over dark blue for example.

Kurt
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I paint mainly in oils so l am biased. I find as an average painter that using oils allows you to correct mistakes easily, the drying time of acrylics makes this more difficult, either way have a wet brush in your mouth using acrylics and a brush with dilutent on it handy for oils. Titanium white oil paint is very opaque and will cover most colours but the undercolour needs a few days to dry if you are going to paint designs, how long depends on the undercolour. In this respect acrylics are an advantage.
    Practice your design beforehand and plan your approach to painting.
    Have really good brushes which hold a point.
    I have just started using rubloff brushes and they seem to work well with both oils and acrylics.

Hope this helps.
  5. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    When painting those details, if there is no molded detail, I paint the background color first, then the monogram or other details second, both when the details are molded or not.

Prost!
    Brad