1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

where do you live?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Tecumsea, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I am surprised at the reluctance of members of Planet to say where they live, Town or City and Country. This may be deliberate, although any reason for this escapes me, or just an oversight.
    Disclosure to me has a couple of advantages.

1) It enables contact between Planeteers within countries at shows, clubs etc, at the last Euro we organised a meal and Planet Badges so that we could recognise fellow forum members. I've just seen a thread where two members have just discovered that they live just a few miles apart-Avatars are unhelpful in this respect!
    2) Members often post items for sale and an immediate reaction is "Where are you" as there is a need for either the buyer or seller to calculate postage costs.

I recently encouraged a new member in Canada to post a "Calling all Canadians" which resulted in many positive responses and it looks as though some people who would not normally have met will now be able to put faces to names by attending one of the Canadian shows.

I have met many new friends through Planet and to me extending the boundaries beyond just a computer screen is a means of developing the hobby, encouraging show attendance, Ad hoc meetings, local contact, etc.

I would be interested in the forums views on this, should there be more encouragement when joining to show your location? could existing members be encouraged to add it to their personal details?

Keith
    gordy likes this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    About 20 miles from you Keith.;)
    Carl.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    800px-Bedale.jpg
    Bedale North Yorkshire.

Roger.
    Jaybo and Edorta like this.
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Really Carl-I think I'm gonna move:D
    gordy likes this.
  5. polyphemus Well-Known Member

East Lancs, but you already know that Keith:) Good idea though, when I was ebay selling I got enquiries from people within a few miles radius who were otherwise unknown. It does make you wonder how many people there are who follow this hobby in a relatively private & solitary way; an iceberg syndrome perhaps, the majority hidden under the surface.

Geoff
  6. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    I'm fairly close to you as well Keith. Only 7 time zones, 4237 miles or 8 hours and 48 minutes by air!:D

Gary
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    What nearer?:LOL:
    Carl.
  8. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great points Keith :)

Some folks have not seen the "Location" option under preferences ( http://www.planetfigure.com/account/personal-details ) ;)

I will see about making it more prominent :coffee:
  9. Russ5281 Member

United-States
    I live in the Chicago area — Wheaton to be exact, but know absolutely no one who is a figure painter. In fact, I don’t even know any modelers. There are more than enough clubs around here — IPMS, AMPS and MMSI, but they all meet on either Friday night (MMSI) or Saturday morning. Unfortunately, my life/work schedule just doesn’t mesh with their meeting times. Just wondering how many Planet members there are near me.

Russ
  10. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm about 4hours South by Southwest from ya! (St Louis burbs)
  11. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Although I'm from Dallas, I now live somewhat close to the Nashville area.
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Bethlehem, PA, which we call "Bethlum", or if you're from Allentown (Ahllentahwn), you say, "Beth-lee-hem", nahw vunce.

Prost!
    Brad
    Don Johnson likes this.
  13. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I think it is deliberate for some folks, because the Internet can be a dangerous place, and depending on how far into a forum an outsider can get, he can mine a lot of useful info. So, I'm not surprised if some folks choose not to advertise some details. As Dwight Schrute said, "Identity theft is no joke, Jim!"

Prost!
    Brad
  14. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    GLASGOW.........No Mean City
    The glorious Maggie Bell , first up is the polished version in Sevenoaks,. The second is a home game at The Ferry .

Cheers
    Derek
  15. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think you should:D
  16. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Not a bad choice of music for a Priest :D
  17. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    I live in the animal field in Saxony - good old Germany.

Cheers

Hendryk
  18. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    I live in Plano, Texas, a big suburb of Dallas
  19. LVM Active Member

Belgium
    I live in Le Roeulx (near Mons) in Belgium!

Laurent
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Small village called Lewedorp in the Netherlands and of course under see level :LOL: