1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

When things aren't going right

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Banjer, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Banjer A Fixture

England
    I am currently working on a Beneito Waterloo vignette and it's proving a right pig to do.

What do you do when faced with this situation?
    Persevere?
    Put it aside and hope to come back to it?
    Bin it?
    Start another piece and alternate?

I think I will go for the last option because otherwise it won't get completed, but I am interested to get other opinions.

Bill
    DaddyO likes this.
  2. swralph A Fixture

I would continue until I could absolutely not cope with it anymore,then I would bin it.
    I only ever work on one model at a time,which makes me continue to want to finish.
    I have not binned many models.
    I never stop a model and started another so that what I am working on gets finished.
    Oda, winfield, valiant and 1 other person like this.
  3. Graham A Fixture

England
    I am not the right person to ask with my record of finishing pieces but I have found if I start another half way through the first, I rarely go back to it and it stays unfinished and I lose that initial interest
    Tommi, Oda, Babelfish and 1 other person like this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Bill

Sorry to hear you having a bit of a pain with this ...wonder what the problem is ?

....I suppose it's really how you feel atm and how far you are with it ...sometimes better to have a break and return with fresh eyes

I wouldn't bin it , maybe strip it back and reprime ready for the next assault

Nap
    Oda, DaddyO and Banjer like this.
  5. Banjer A Fixture

England
    Hi Kev,
    The main problem is the fit of the parts but I have also stripped it once. I will persevere for a while but I find that when a piece gives me major greif I tend to go off it.

Bill
  6. Nap Moderator

England

I know it's a older kit ...I finds I paint better when the whole thing is assembled

Keep at it ..perhaps sone pics re fit ?

Keep smiling

Nap
    Banjer and DaddyO like this.
  7. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Bill
    Sorry you are having trouble mate - I often have several pieces on the go and rarely work on one at a time. What usually happens is I work on 2 or 3 until one starts to grip me and then that takes over and I concentrate on that, hopefully till it's completed, but not always I'm sorry to say :(

Personally I'd set it aside and try something else. If it's a fit/construction issue I usually do that sort of stuff when I haven't got much time or don't fancy painting or in the evenings when painting under artificial lights (which I have problems with)

I've had a few Beneito figures and most ended up in the 'unfinished' pile I'm afraid so I know exactly where you are coming from. Post a couple of pics as Kev says perhaps another view point will re-inspire you, but don't get too worried about it.
    (If cash is tight jus drop me a pm and I'll sort something out from my grey army that you can have to give you a break. Like many I've got plenty that deserve to be painted and are just gathering dust. No offence intended, just an offer );)
    Cheers
    Paul
  8. Banjer A Fixture

England
    [quote
    (If cash is tight jus drop me a pm and I'll sort something out from my grey army that you can have to give you a break. Like many I've got plenty that deserve to be painted and are just gathering dust. No offence intended, just an offer );)
    Cheers
    Paul[/quote]

Thanks for the kind offer Paul but I have plenty of stuff to turn to. (No offence taken).
    Strangly enough I have more disposable income now I'm retired than I ever had when working.

I have a couple of nice CGS busts to do which really appeal, so I think a break, then come back to this piece.

Cheers
    Bill
    Nap and DaddyO like this.
  9. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the kind offer Paul but I have plenty of stuff to turn to. (No offence taken).
    Strangly enough I have more disposable income now I'm retired than I ever had when working.

I have a couple of nice CGS busts to do which really appeal, so I think a break, then come back to this piece.

Cheers
    Bill[/quote]

Sounds like a plan Bill(y)
    Nap likes this.
  10. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Hi Bill
    I've done more than a few Beneito figures over time and with one exception, they were all a ball-ache to assemble, so I know where you are coming from. I tend to work on a figure and a plastic kit in parallel as I find that keeps up my enthusiasm for both. Like you I'm retired, so have no real time constraints, but I am not averse to shelving something (but never binning it) if it starts to annoy me. Oddly, I did what I consider to be my best figures when I was working 45 hours a week and commuting 30 miles each way. I'd set it aside and start a bust were I you.

Phil
    Blind Pew, Babelfish, DaddyO and 2 others like this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Sounds like a plan Bill(y)[/quote]

Go for it Bill ...especially if you have a CGS bust !

Happy benchtime

Nap
  12. Banjer A Fixture

England
    Decided against the CGS busts, they are a Christmas present from my daughter, she wouldn't know, but I had a prick of conscience. Instead I put in a couple of hours base coating a Pilipili Indian bust that was sitting in primer, It did the trick, got my mojo back. Hopefully I can return to the Beneito with new enthusiasm, but will give it a week or so.

Bill
    Blind Pew, Airkid, Nap and 2 others like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Bill

Wise decision after all the CGS will be with Santa ....look forward to seeing the Pilipili bust

More importantly enjoy the benchtime

Nap
  14. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have done all four of the above at one time or another.

More than one utter dog has gone straight in the bin, but much depends on the quality (sculpt / cast / fit) of the piece in question.

I find that taking a break from something and then going back to it after a few days, weeks or months often re-ignites my enthusiasm for it, which in turn has a positive knock-on effect in terms of the quality of my own work on it.

- Steve
    Nap, DaddyO and Banjer like this.
  15. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Whatever you end up doing, Bill, one thing is certain. YOU have to remain interested and engaged with what you're doing. Otherwise it will show up in the end result, which won't be as good.
    I have sometimes suffered a catastrophic loss in interest when doing a figure, when for some reason my mojo completely went despite loads of initial enthusiasm.
    If you're not having fun, put it out of sight and come back to it maybe. It might not be the disaster you feel at the moment.
    When you're at the point where it becomes another chore, it's time to change something... all the best anyway.
    DaddyO, Babelfish, Nap and 2 others like this.
  16. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, Don't bin it!! In a few months time, you'll find it'll contain something that's perfect for another project. I need to get inspiration after each stage of construction and after each session of painting to carry on doing it, or it's put by for another day. I usually have 3 models on the bench at any one time, so whilst one part is drying, I'll paint something else etc. I'm retired too and so try to do something every afternoon. Ray
    Airkid, Nap and Banjer like this.
  17. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Blame Murphy

japanese-tsunami-closes-off-a-road.gif
    Banjer and Nap like this.