1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Whats you mix for german field grey (oils)

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Edson, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Edson Member

Mexico
    Hi folks, I have been very busy painting for a friend and collector of 1:16 WWII german figures, so on this collection the field grey is present in almost all his figures, could you tell me some mix that you use for this color maybe I could use different mixes to get a little variation on the figures uniforms and not paint all the in same tone.

Hope you could help me please
    Cheers
    ED
  2. Einion Well-Known Member

Hi Edson, field grey does vary a lot so it's no problem to deliberately vary the hue from one subject to the next (even different items of clothing on the same individual).

I think one of the best and simplest ways of approaching the mixing of a colour like this is to mix a green, mix grey and just blend the two colours together. For highlights lightening with additional white, possibly with a touch more yellow, and darkening with a little added black will often work fine.

If you begin with the same grey each time (a basic mix of white + black is fine by the way, write down the proportions if you might forget) then merely by tweaking the green you can get different shades very easily without having to worry about the mixture becoming complicated.

If you'd prefer to mix this in a more usual way then I'd recommend you use Ultramarine as the blue, add to that an opaque yellow earth to get a basic dull green. Then mix in white cautiously to get to the right midtone and finally add in a tiny amount of any opaque red or red earth (e.g. Cadmium Red Medium, Venetian Red, Red Oxide) to dull it down even further.

Using either method you can get to many of the same colours, exactly the same, just depends on how you'd prefer to approach it. You can highlight and shade the second version the same way as for the first mix, there should be nearly no difference.

Einion
  3. Edson Member

Mexico
    Thanks

Hey buddy, thanks for the info, I got more clearly in my mind now, gonna make some test and I´ll let you know how is going the thing

Thanks
    Best regards
    ED