1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Whats the most popular Scale

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Chris Elizardo, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Chris Elizardo New Member

United-States
    Hello Folks,

Whats the most popular scale for figurative work? I'm a sculptor and very new to sculpting military and historical figures.

Thanks
    Chris
  2. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    I think 54mm is still king. 120 is popular and 70-75mm (my personal faves) are steadily gaining in popularity but 54 is I think most popular.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    54mm is the most commercially successful scale. Popular - yes, it's also the most popular. I personally prefer 120mm.

All the best,
    Dan
  4. ranchhand Active Member

United-States
  5. JasonB A Fixture

United-States
    I think 1/16 or 120mm is becoming more and more popular, probably for the same reason 1/32 aircraft are getting more popular. Aging eyes and being able to see and paint the detail much more easily without the need for 10x magnification! 1/10 seems to be most popular for busts. Where that scale came from I have no idea, 1/9 was the big scale of choice for a long time.
  6. Chris Elizardo New Member

United-States
    Thanks everyone!!!

Chris
  7. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I would agree. 54mm seems very popular on the continent, but 75mm seems to be the scale of the moment. My aged eyes prefer the larger scales. At the end of the day, a first class figure will sell regardless of scale.

Good luck,

Mike