1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

What's The Best Primer For A White Metal Figure

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by PaultheMilitaryModeller, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Hi

Can I ask a quick question regarding primer.

I am having a go with a white metal figure, when I came to priming it I used my usual primer which is Xtracolor Enamel primer, the trouble is its not doing a good job and the finished result is a primer coat this is not giving its usual strong bond and is easily rubbed off, so what's the best primer to use on WM.

Some recommended Mr Metal Primer but I cannot locate any for sale in the UK.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul
  2. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Paul,
    try using a cellulose - based primer, or etching primer - i think you'll find that it will bite into the metal better! I think you'll get it at Halfords, still!
    cheers,
    Steve(y)
  3. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I use Floquil grey primer and works very well on white metal figures.
    I also use the Mr metal primer (brush on) and works great.
  4. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I use Walmart's store brand. It covers just as nicely as the specialty makers' primers, has good "tooth", and costs less per volume.

I tried Rustoleum's primer, which also worked well and was cheaper than the specialty makers' primers, but it was not as cheap as Walmart's, and a can didn't go as far as Walmart's.

I have been meaning to try using Mr Surfacer, though, applied with the airbrush, but haven't tried it yet. Now, that would be a relatively expensive primer, at cost per volume, but I have a jar of the 1200 and the 1000, and I'm not really happy with them as fillers, so I may just use them up as primers.

Prost!
    Brad
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I'll be quite hones with you,i have not try the other than Mr metal primer or mr Resin (spray) primer,the resin spray primer is tiop notch,but their brush on primer is quite heavy and grainy.
    As for the metal primers i have also try the Autoparts primer, don't remeber the brand but usually they are a little heavy and floquil works really good.
    Tamiya is quite heavy too and takes a long time to dry out.
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    Halfords own primer does just fine use it on everything myself
  7. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
  8. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Heh heh, I'm cheap, er, ah, Dutchy, as we say around here ;) I don't like to spend money if I don't have to, so that's what set me on my hunt for a more cost-effective primer. I should note, too, that I use the automotive primer on my scale model kits, as well as on metal figures; it was important to me that it be a multi-use primer. It's sufficient for my purposes. I also use 3 colors--dark grey, light grey and rust, depending on what the final subject is supposed to be.

Back in the day, I started out using Tamiya Flat Grey (I forget the XF- number) and brushing it on. That really didn't last long, because a bottle didn't go that far, and the grey seemed to dry out a lot faster than some of the other colors. So I quickly switched to rattle can primers and experimented till I got the right balance (for me) of effectiveness and price.

I am really curious to see how Mr Surfacer works as a primer, too. I'll probably try it on the next new items in my queue.

Prost!
    Brad
  9. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Car primer every time, made for metal, right for the job.

These days many are water based, safe and shrink to a tight skin - ideal!
  10. Edward A Fixture

England
    I use white Tamiya Fine Surface Primer - for plastic or metal. I spray it straight from the can. Have always been happy with the finish.
  11. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    i am happy with Mr metal primer,but for an enitre figure i use floquil,for small parts and minor touch ups to be painted the brush on is ideal.
    Take care Brad
  12. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    i may try it next time,been looking for a white primer.
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Tamiya white or grey primer has worked for me for more than 10 years. Never had a problem with it.
  14. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    i used Tamiya grey once and end up on the trash can.

Maybe it was a defective can or i have not used properly but wasn't happy with the results.
    I think i will give a try to the fine surface (white ) primer,it may be a good start for the white uniform i have to paint.
  15. m@rp Active Member

Belgium
    Personaly I use a car primer and after a light coat of enamel
  16. Einion Well-Known Member

Auto primer all the way for me - Hycote rather than Halfords. The latter was (and might still be) made for them by Hycote but costs more, so it makes sense to buy pretty much the same stuff but for less money...

Other than the price one of the things I like about quality auto primer is that it's so tough - hard to scrape off resin even with a craft blade for example. That's about as tough as you could ask for!

Tips for best results in this post.

Einion