1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

What's outside your comfort zone?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Mariner, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    I have the Crecy mounted Black Prince in my grey army saying 'I dare you'.;)
    I don't know if and when I'll ever screw up the courage to attempt it with all that heraldry, even with Tommi's wonderful stencils; it's extremely intimidating (see photo).
    What figure(s) is the 'bogeyman' in your grey closet?

Mary

Attached Files:

2. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    I have a sculpt of a Japanese friend of mine wearing a yukata. It really stretches my comfort zone beyond the zone.....

Working with oils is the next painting challenge I'll face....

The yukata sculpt promises to be intricate because of:

- first full female sculpt with....
    - a specifc likeness, rather then a generic lady
    - drapery of the yukata quickly followed by....
    - the pattern on the yukata, with the texture of the obi (sash).

Big jump in the deep end....

Cheers

(while splashing about on the deep end......)
  3. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I've never attempted Tartan
  4. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Having just returned to my hobby after many years absence I look at everything I have bought with trepidation. Once I get the first one completed I think I will be ok but until then whoooo....
  5. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I prefer to think of them as figures requiring techniques or skills I haven't mastered quite yet but maybe with a little more work...

In my closet there are two I'm waiting to jump into. While the heraldry is not as complicated as your Black Prince (wow, that's some crazy detail... even with stencils it'll be a serious undertaking), Pegaso's Teutonic Grand Master is going to be a challenge. Nothing against Tommi's stencils but I just like painting designs free hand. It may not look as good, but I know it's all me... if that makes any sense.

From the construction standpoint, Andrea's French Hussar will be challenging. Trying to figure out the best order to paint and assemble the pieces in is going to be like solving a 3-D jigsaw puzzle. I'm also still a little burnt out from my last mounted 90mm. I need more time before I'm ready for another one.

So yeah, I'm going to get a few more completed figures under my belt before I tackle either of these. Still, I'm looking forward to the challenge!
    Pegaso-75014.jpg S8-F24-rl01.jpg
  6. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
  7. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Having thought more about this question has brought me out in a cold sweat because I am now thinking back to the early Seventies when I did Ray Lambs Taisho in oils for a commission. A lot of work to put together because it did not fit very well and the weight of it made the work harder still. It was worth it when it was finished by not sure I would want to attempt it again and if I did I would probably do it in acrylics.
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Camouflage! I've only ever attempted it once and that was on a 54mm Denison smock. Painting flats has been camo free..... until Ken Farrer put paid to that. :D

Roger.
  9. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I rekon that I'm not at the painting level that you all are. Most of you have some rather elaborate and thus tedious work ahead:eek:! As for me, I have a Latorre Models Cameron Highlander, and like Keith I have never painted a tartan before. As you can guess, I have been putting it off and putting it off. I've seen some examples that were simply stunning. Along with this are those figures with striped clothing like Horan's baseball players and others. Anyway, I believe we just have to take on the task in small bites and it will all come together. In the end we'll have a big smile :)!

Joe
  10. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    It would have to be heraldry - Fleur De Lis and Lions Rampant or whatever... (yes even with Tommi's wonderful stencils).

Last year I completed Pegaso's Battle of Agincourt Diorama (the picture is from Pegaso's site and not my work) which I actually bought almost seven years ago. It took me almost a year and half to complete and caused me shortsightedness. I now have to wear glasses when painting!!!:mad:

As soon as I completed the project I accidentally came across PlanetFigure and Tommi's stencils. I am telling you, I have not yet had the strenght to look at that diorama through my new glasses because I am so scared of what I will see. And it has definetely put me off Fleur De Lis for the next ten years.;)

Attached Files:

11. FortunesOfWarModels Member

United-Kingdom
    im currently converting a tamiya gulf war infantryman, into a modern day Royal Marine.... not really that tricky, but some of the sculpts, im particually proud of (this is the first time i have ever sculpted anything out of milliput, with the exception of sand bags for a 15mm warhammer diorama) especially the osprey body armour and PRR radio set and earpiece.

That however is not the bit thats outside my comfort zone, painting the new style MTP or multicam camo, with its 7 colours and various shades is something im dreading, although in another way, im looking forward to seeing if i can pull it off properly.
  12. Mariner Active Member

Canada
  13. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    any figure that requires me to open a book and do research.:p
  14. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I have a bunch of anime girl kits that I want to paint, but I feel that I need a little more practice in basic techniques first.

Prost!
    Brad
  15. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Horses, definitely horses.
  16. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I try and push every boundary when it comes to my ongoing development. I'm currently dreading ea dot cam which I have never done before! I have just painted two panzer officers in black which is a challenge in itself but I have had a pretty good result.
  17. jccraemer Member

United-States
    Would have to say horses and Napoleonic era.