1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Wayneb, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Just a simple question.....
    What would you do if there was no internet, clubs, or shows to show your work? Would you still be motivated enough to do your best?.......I wonder how many of us started out that way.

Wayne
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Wayne

Before the time of shows, Internet , clubs etc I presume most woukd have just painted for themselves and no one else woukd have known about this strange fellow sat at a table for hours ........family and friends just smiling politely at me

We all loose mojo at times so motivation would be more difficult to keep going in my opinion

Just my thoughts

Nap
    housecarl and Babelfish like this.
  3. Ferris A Fixture

Yes I would, I think. My motivation comes from inside. Shows have been around a long time and initially did add to motivation (the rush of competition), but the futility of hobby prizes soon tempered this back to normal.
    Shows help me to finish things, having a deadline.
    Shows, internet mainly contribute to sharing and learning and have greatly helped my learning curve.
    But if they would not exist, I’d probably happily do my own thing!

Cheers

Adrian
    Airkid, sd0324, akaryu and 3 others like this.
  4. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A good question, Wayne. Thing is, comparison is the thief of joy - it really is.

I'd say to anybody, "Did you enjoy making it?" "Are you happy with the end result?" Nothing else matters, as this is generally a hobby for most.
  5. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Fully agree to the previous reactions.

In over fifty years of figure painting I never participated in a competition and only occasionally visit one of the greater shows like Euromilitaire, Kulmbach or the SMC, mainly to talk to like minded people, discuss ideas with manufacturers I know well and to smuggle goodies without customs poking their noses in.

And of course there is Ransart in February as an early start to the year and exchange belated wishes. Apart from that I abhor the hustle and bustle of too tightly packed crowds trying to clobber one with their camera!

Inspiration comes from reading, lots of reading and any technical progress there might be in my work comes from practice. Oil painters are like that, slow working and patient.

It may sound egoistic, but I paint for my own pleasure only, trying to do better with each figure.

After all, it IS a hobby, a very passionating one, but still a hobby.

Pierre
    Airkid, Blind Pew, Martin64 and 3 others like this.
  6. Pete Culos New Member

Great question. I started as kid because I loved looking at figures and models. Since there were limited opportunities to see them, I made my own. I chased awards for a while but my real motivation is still just to have something nice to look at in the display case. Getting better at anything is just a satisfying experience in and of itself.
    Blind Pew and sd0324 like this.
  7. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Like Pierre I too have been painting figures for fifty-odd years. I've never really felt the need
    to show my stuff, being happily content to be my own critic. Without doubt though forums
    like this have great value as a showcase for manufacturers, and indeed for painters whose
    competitiveness is more developed than mine. Show it off if you want to...keep it to yourself
    if you don't...right? But remember that figure painters the world over tend to think all their
    geese are swans.......even when those 'swans' are sometimes more like 'turkeys'.

Mike
  8. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    I used to build plastic model kits and found that I particularly liked building kits that came with military figures... and then I realized I liked painting the figures a whole lot more than building the vehicles and it just grew from there. What would I do if there was no way to share my work? Painting is my time, don't have to share it with anyone (selfish I guess). It calms me down and relaxes me and I just love to see a character come to life one color at a time. What would I do? Keep on painting!

Rick
    Airkid, Blind Pew and sd0324 like this.
  9. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

I came into the Hobby via Wargaming after seeing Peter Gilder's Battle of Waterloo ! At the same show were Ray Lamb's Taisho,(painting of the model) and some Historex Figures. The pic shows Pete and just a small corner of his Diorama taken in 1973. Ray

Attached Files:

10. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Good thread Wayne

I have always been associated with clubs since my first forays into model making back in the early 1960s. I found the camaraderie and sensible critique invaluable during my early years in the hobby. Later I got into gong-hunting mode, but it didn't take me long to realize that I was painting for reasons other than enjoyment. The result was a long lay-off in the early 2000s. I came back to it when I was ready to paint for my own enjoyment and satisfaction. I post stuff on here as new posts are what keeps this platform thriving and I think it worthwhile to support it in exchange for the support it offers me. I rejoined IPMS and BMSS for similar reasons, and to keep in touch with old friends, but were I back to being a "lone modeller", yes, I'd keep doing it - I love it, simple as that!

Phil
    OldTaff likes this.