1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

what type of figure should i really do fantasy,sci-fi or historical ?

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by mcsnead17, Jun 18, 2014.

1. mcsnead17 Member

United-States
    The main for this is the fact that I have noticed that both fantasy and sci- fi figures are not serious at all even when the artist has worked for months so why do they do this and should I give-up completely on doing both fantasy and sci-fi figures because I did start with a fantasy figure in 1973.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    You just go further with your fantasy and Sci-figures.
    If that is what makes you happy into the hobby paint it.
    I like fantasy figures, but I don't paint them. It is always good to see something else then Nappi's, WW 2 and Knights etc.

Marc
  3. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    If you have fun painting fantasy and sci fi, then do so. Cause this is what this hobby is all about : having fun! Personaly I started to paint fantasy and sci fi too since beginning of this year. It's so much fun not being restricted by uniform colours, etc... An d when I see what great effects those "not serious" painters do, then I think many of "serious" historical painters can learn a lot from them.

Take care,

Gino
  4. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    do what makes you happy
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  5. Graham A Fixture

England
    I think in any form of modelling, there has to be a certain amount of 'do what you enjoy'. If that is sci fi/fantasy then why mend something that 'ain't broke?

There is room for trying something different for a change though and modelling outside your comfort zone can be rewarding so why not paint/model to please yourself rather than others?
  6. swralph A Fixture

Unless you are doing competitions,Paint for your own fun.Don't get bogged down in what others think.If someone else likes what you do then that is a bonus.
    Mark Dollery likes this.
  7. mcsnead17 Member

United-States
    but I am doing figures for competitions and for myself but I have seen judges ignored figure because of their scale 28 mm and not for the work that was done just for the fact that they did not see what was really good about them.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Be sure, that the judges have seen your figures. But maybe they find them not good enough for the prices.
    The judges see more fault's then you will see at that moment. I have painted alot of figures, and I'm very satisfied with my painting. I only have not won a gold in the competitions. But if that is your goal.......stop painting.
    We all paint for fun ( I hope) and the competition is to see if you are good, or maybe a little less then others. Then there is one thing for care your disseas for medals.........go for better painting then you are allready doing.
    But for all: HAVE FUN FOR YOURSELF>.........You painting for a hobby, not for medals,

Marc
  9. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    That's what we refer to as throwing a grenade into the room, Marc. I think your premise is false, and I suspect that you're smiling when you say that. I concede that at the "connoisseur shows", like ours, many artists and patrons used to look down their noses and sniff at a fantasy or a sci-fi piece. But those days are long behind us, and both genres are well-represented in the broader hobby of painting miniatures.

If you first painted a fantasy figure in 1973, and you're asking now, 41 years later, if you should give up on them, I really do think you're just looking for a rise out of the rest of the Planeteers.

As the others have said, paint what you like, don't let anyone discourage you.

Prost!
    Brad
    captnenglish and Don Johnson like this.
  10. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    That's what we refer to as throwing a grenade into the room, Marc. I think your premise is false, and I suspect that you're smiling when you say that. I concede that at the "connoisseur shows", like ours, many artists and patrons used to look down their noses and sniff at a fantasy or a sci-fi piece. But those days are long behind us, and both genres are well-represented in the broader hobby of painting miniatures.

If you first painted a fantasy figure in 1973, and you're asking now, 41 years later, if you should give up on them, I really do think you're just looking for a rise out of the rest of the Planeteers.

As the others have said, paint what you like, don't let anyone discourage you.

Prost!
    Brad
  11. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Well, I did that wrong. Anyway, I agree with Brad. Paint whatever you like.
    Mongo Mel and theBaron like this.
  12. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'm sure that many, if not the majority, of modellers who contribute to sites like Putty & Paint and this one will have issues with you not considering them to be "serious" painters if they do SF or fantasy pieces. Quite insulting really.

Go check out the work of artists like Marta Slusarska, Arsies or Iguazu (to name a few) and you can decide for yourself whether you think they're serious painters or not.

Billy
    captnenglish likes this.
  13. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    I guess the old mcsneed17 from TL-Forum is back. Opening threads and throwing some occasional grenades into discussions can be a hobby as well - have fun over here.
    Cheers, Martin
    theBaron and captnenglish like this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Agreed. I will watch for excessive silliness and red herrings.

Colin
    captnenglish and Martin64 like this.
  15. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    55 messages, 0 Likes ..... tells a story all of its own methinks :)
    captnenglish likes this.
  16. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    41 years is not that bad of a learning curve:rolleyes:o_O:inpain:

Bob
  17. Gerry Active Member

Come on Marc youve bombarded most forums mate!! realy paint what you like& enjoy the process
    why do you keep asking these mundain questions? where here to help!!!;) but PLEASE PLEASE do not waste
    folks time! Marc folks are cool on this site and helpfull! paint what you like and REALYl enjoy the process
    where here to help but please dont waste peoples time!
    captnenglish likes this.
  18. mcsnead17 Member

United-States
    maybe I will because I have most of a series of figures based The Game of Thrones from Dark Sword Miniatures and their twist on Robin Hood - all animals except no Prince John yet .
  19. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    when you first picked up a brush back in your youth, you need to remember WHY you did so you can put everything in perspective.

Zane
  20. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    It's been done already by Disney: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070608/combined

Seriously, though...pick up the brush and start painting! And let us see what you're doing.

Prost!
    Brad
    captnenglish likes this.