1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

What to user for a oil plt and disposal

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by samson, Jun 4, 2019.

1. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    What do the oil guys use for the pallet they use ???? And also how do you safely dispose of the materials used while oil painting ??
  2. Old Pete Active Member

Scotland
    I use paper pallets and throw it in the bin when done or keep them for a reminder if I might want to mix the colour again;)
    samson likes this.
  3. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

I have a palet designed to be used with oil - it is a block of different pages, glossy an non-absorbant. In the past I also used a (clean) tile - as in bathroom tiles - the surface must be smooth.
    When finished I let the oil paint dry fully before discarding in the bin - with the tile I just scraped odd the dried paint to reuse the tile.

I clean my brushes with a turpentine replacenent chemical. This gets stored in a sealed container, and when too dirty is taken to the recycling park to be emptied (so I can be sure it is disposed off in an environmentally friendly way)
    Mirofsoft, samson and Hawk_Uk like this.
  4. Banjer A Fixture

England
    I use a ceramic tile which I scrape when it is fully used, then a squirt of oven cleaner and a wipe with a cloth. This is done in the open air to avoid the fumes.
    If the paint is too oily I use a piece of card to soak up the excess but this dries out the paint quickly so it is then transferred to the tile.

Bill
    samson likes this.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I use a white ceramic tile.
    When there is no place for mor paint I scrap it of with a pallete knife, and clean the rest with Turpentine.
    I glued some rubber " feet" at the bottom side to provide slipping on the desk (the one you use for protect the floor for glyding furniture)
    As Bill I use a piece of card to let the oil out and transfer the paint to the tile.

Marc
    samson likes this.
  6. Ronaldo A Fixture

I use any old shit I can get a hold of
  7. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks all for the info
  8. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Used to use palette paper,but i'm now using plastic coated paper plates.So much better and cheaper.
    samson likes this.
  9. pkessling Active Member

4x6 card in a Ziplock plastic lunch bag. “Oily” paints go on to a a plain card to absorb some of the oil, then transferred to the “plastic palette.” Used palettes go in the trash when the fig is done.
    samson likes this.
  10. Ronaldo A Fixture

I prefer toilet paper Brian
    samson and winfield like this.
  11. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States

I used to use that Ron, but I wasn't too keen on the smell; n0w I just throw everything in the nuclear waste recycle bin.
    samson, Tecumsea and winfield like this.
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Ceramic palette, same one I use for other paints that use something other than water as a thinner. I also use a piece of cardboard when I want to leach some of the oil out first.

When I'm done, dry/solid refuse goes in the garbage. The palette gets washed in a work sink in the cellar.

Prost!
    Brad
    samson likes this.
  13. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Remind me not to shake your hand........:yuck:
    Landrotten Highlander and samson like this.