1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

What should I call this series?

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by garyjd, Jan 6, 2012.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    [IMG]

I'm a huge fan of Daguerrotype and Ambrotype photographs. Early photography is the closest thing we'll ever have to a time machine. In addition to hundreds of Civil War photographs I've also downloaded hundreds of Photographs of civilian images. Studio photographs are not only comprised of the wealthy, but tradespeople and common laborers as well. These black and white images are deceiving as well. From the looks of them it's easy to think they were all or mostly clothed in drab boring colors. A while back I thought to do a series of miniature portraits based on early 19th century studio photographs. not only will these "mini" ( 6" X 6" ) portraits give me more practice, it might breathe a bit more life into what appear drab images, though they're far from that.

The four images above have been cropped to only include the head, shoulders, and possibly a hat or some other sort of head covering. After completing these additional portraits will be added between other projects. I'm mostly looking for great faces that have lots of character or clothing that does not appear that common in most photographs.

I'd like to give this series a name but have yet to come up with anything. Any thoughts?[IMG]

More...
  2. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Life imitated by art instead of life imitates art.

Jim
  3. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Glass Plate Images.
    Before the Camera's Lens.
    Interruption of/in a Life.
    19th Century Images.
    We The People . . . American Images from Days Past. (doesn't limit you to ACW era)
    captnenglish likes this.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks fellas. I came up with a few titles and they just don't have a ring to it. I'm going back and forth between these and miniature projects. I hope to start something new soon. ~Gary
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great title Don. I have a book of 19th century photographs of Revolutionary War veterans that I'm sure will find their way into this grouping. ~Gary
  6. Mark S Guest

I also love studying old photos.The frozen moments in time fascinate me.
    I can only suggest~
    The face of history
    The faces of history
    Facing the past
    An eye to the past
  7. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Gary, You've made a great start on the first painting. I can't wait to see how you fare with interpreting these images.
    These projects seem to be small enough to finish while the creative juices are hot, yet with a scope that will (hopefully) maintain, and even enhance, the premise of producing a collection.
    Not to get ahead of one's self, but 6 or 8 of these, arranged as a group, on display at the MFCA and APG shows, would be a highlight of the weekend. Add in companion flats (like the William Washington piece) that others could buy and paint, and the USPS could well become your part-time endeavor!!
    In any event, you've got a wonderful idea, and it will be interesting to see how it develops.
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marks, Many thanks for additional suggestions. I'm fortunate enough to own a few original images and it's hard not to look at them and wonder what their lives must have been like. ~Gary
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Don, Thanks again. In addition to paintings I hope to have some new sculptures at the APG show also. MFCA would be nice also, we'll have to see.

I have to do my APG donation piece yet too. :sneaky: ~Gary
  10. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I gotta say it because it's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the images.

American Gothic after Grant Woods painting...

However I like the word Americana so...

Life through Americana.
    Americana Illuminated.
    In Americana.

Just thoughts.

:)
  11. modelix Active Member

Hello Gary

try this "The faces that changed America"

Regards

Vitalino Chitas
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks again. I came up with one that combines two different ideas. ~Gary