1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

What regiment is he please?

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by amcairns, Apr 15, 2016.

1. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Here is an image of a British soldier ,could be Spain 1812?any idea what regiment and cut of tunic/Any help appreciated.
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. mick3272 A Fixture

Andy.
    Sorry mate it may be my eyes or my screen but what colour are the facings. I cant make up my mind if they are Blue, Black or Green.
    Mick
  3. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    I think they could be dark green?
    Andy
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    The artist is Rob Chapman and the title is San Sebastian 1813, however when I went to his website it says account is suspended.

A search of for British order of battle at San Sebastian and compare it with the table Colin posted should clear it up.
    theBaron likes this.
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I've just had a look at the OOB for the British 5th Division at San Sebastian and I would say the illustration is of a soldier of the 1st Battalion, 4th Foot Kings Own. Blue facings, bastion lace spaced singularly.
  7. Windy Active Member

England
    It's a hard one to call but going by the lace around the top of the cuffs I'd say he was 1st Foot Guards. Although the main assault at San Sebastian was made by the 5th Division, the Forlorn Hope was made up of volunteers from the 1st, 4th and Light Divisions. So it's entirely possible that he's a Guardsman.
    billyturnip likes this.
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Now I've had some more time to search I found this caption to the illustration,

William McCallion, 3rd Battalion 1st Foot was 26 when he participated in the costly attack on the fortress of San Sebastian. The following year he was discharged from the army due to having "... the left arm disabled by bullet wound in San Sebastian 31 August 1813." This successful assault was the second to be tried. Between the two operations there were 2,000 casualties.

The Royal Scots had square ended lace though. :confused:
    theBaron likes this.
  9. Windy Active Member

England
    billyturnip likes this.
  10. Windy Active Member

England
    This is from the Waterloo campaign so different shakos, but the jackets are the same. 1st Foot Guards (now the Grenadier Guards):

InfanterieGarde01(centre)b.png
    Steve and billyturnip like this.
  11. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks for that guys,the info should keep me quiet for a while.
    Cheers
    Andy
    Windy likes this.
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I've looked at this again and I've just realised obviously the word Guards has been omitted from the quote I posted above,

"William McCallion, 3rd Battalion 1st Foot Guards was 26 when he participated in the costly attack on the fortress of San Sebastian".

Windy nailed it. (y)
    Windy likes this.
  13. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Ok,thanks for that guys.
    Cheers
    Andy
    billyturnip likes this.
  14. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    1st Regiment of foot guards ( Grenadier)
    I have just seen the post GG.jpg
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  15. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks Bob,a big help.
    Andy
  16. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    What could be the cords over the right shoulder,a bugle perhaps?
    Andy
  17. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    It could be a bugle. I can't think what else it could be but he would have worn some thing like a drummers jacket. He is a centre company man. I will look when at home. Can't see detail on my mobile.
  18. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Had another look. It would be his canteen hanging from his right shoulder. The artist could have drawn a smaller strap. The canteen and haversack is worn on the left hip.
    Regards
    billyturnip likes this.
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    It looks to me like the strap for the canteen.
  20. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Thanks guys.
    Andy