1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Acrylics What Matt Varnish Do You Use For Acrylics Colour?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Manatarm, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Manatarm Active Member

China
    Hi guys, I am painting a bust by Acrylics colour and the colour surface looks a bit annoyingly glossy, I was wondering do you normally apply a coat of matt varnish after painting? and what matt vanish do you use for Acrylics? Is Vallejo's matt varnish a good choice? and what is the mixing percentage between Vallejo's varnish and the medium in airbrush?:)

Thank you very much
    Yi
  2. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I've used Dullcote for years. Some folks have mentioned issues (light colored spotting), but I have not had any problems. Shake it for a minute or two and place it in warm water for about 5 minutes. A couple of light coats does the trick.

Joe
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Get some Tamiya X21, use a little bit in you water.
    The paint will dry dead matt, don't use too much though, as it will dry chalky.
    Carl.(y)
  4. Einion Well-Known Member

I try not to have to; as much as possible I aim for my paint layer to be as matt as I want it to be.

It's not the best, no. But some people get good results with it. See this recent thread:
    http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/airbrushing-matt-varnish.50515/

You can't really go by formulas, ratios or percentages for dilution when spraying because of all the variables - paint varies from the factory from batch to batch; different airbrushes or just different needle/nozzle sets (essentially makes a different airbrush) like different levels of dilution; pressure; trigger control; spraying distance; temperature and/or humidity....

It's better to learn to gauge a suitable consistency by eye, so that no matter what you're trying to spray and how thick it is you'll be able to thin it correctly. And always test off to one side before spraying at the model!

Einion
  5. Manatarm Active Member

China
    Hi Joe, Carl, Einion, thank you very much, I really appreciate your advices.
    Before posting this thread, I applied a coat of satin varnish of Game workshop directly from spray to my little poor bust without testing off.......and it totally destroyed the colour coat.......

Thanks a lot for your advise.
    Yi
  6. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I have been using TESTORS dullcote spray can for almost 5 years, i could tell you that for finishing my figures is the standard and ONLY choice, really gives the figure a very MATT finish and enhaces the colors, for small areas that need a different texture/finish i use Vallejo satin and gloss with a brush on after applying the Dullcote.
    Try it , you will not regret the results.
  7. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Einions right.....try not to use a matting varnish. Where you feel you have to.....Tetors Dullcote every time, but as Joe says make sure you prepare it properly.
    Cheers
    Derek
  8. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I use DullCote, too, no problems so far. I use it over acrylics, and over oils and enamels, too.

Prost!
    Brad
    MarquisMini likes this.
  9. Manatarm Active Member

China
    Hi MarquisMini, Derek, Brad, thank you so much for your information.

Cheers
    Yi
    MarquisMini likes this.