1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

What is your biggest weakness?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by thegoodsgt, Jan 31, 2005.

1. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    The discussion about figures that go wrong got me thinking about the skills and techniques that we have not yet mastered. Those are the things where we're most likely to screw up an otherwise decent figure, or at least result in areas that will always bother us when we look at the figure days, week, and months later. Or maybe they're things that unconsciously block us from painting a certain figure (tartans anyone?).

So what are your weaknesses? Where do you need to improve in order to get to the next level? Do you even aspire to improve, or are you comfortable staying at your current level?

(Please limit your response to only those skills and techniques you regularly use. For example, I'd like to say that sculpting is my weakness, but I don't sculpt as much as I paint.)
  2. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    I think my biggest weakness is painting what I would refer to as the "general highlights and shadows" on a figure. These are the broad, overall highlights and shadows that are cast by the overall light source (those highlights/shadows other than the distinct folds that we're accustomed to painting).

For example, the shoulders of a figure should be painted with the highlight color, relative to the base color of the front and back of the figure's torso. Likewise, the underside of the arms and crotch and inseam of the legs might be painted with the shadow color. I always have a hard time applying these colors and incorporating them into the adjacent base color (and the adjacent highlights and shadows).

Mike Blank, as one example, is particularly good at doing this.
  3. Brent Fordham New Member

Canada
    The area that frightens me the most is painting on heraldry or intricate designs on clothing. Even something simple like a cross on a knight's shield will send me looking for a rub-on transfer. I'll often spend time making a mask and airbrushing in the detail, rather than trying to free-hand paint it on. There are many beautiful subjects I'd love to try, but this sort of detail seems very daunting.
  4. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Interesting topic Steven. In all honesty, and maybe this is why I continually strive to improve, I consider myself to have weaknesses in all categories of the figure art. There isn't one particular area that I consider one of my strong suits. Without fail, I'll find after time some little touch here or there on any one of my figures that I could (at least to my own critique) have improved on or done differently whether it be flesh tones, uniform colours, highlights, shadows, assembly, etc., etc. I'm always experimenting with new techniques and am comfortable only in the medium with which I paint (oils). But, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining by a long shot. It's too much fun...John
  5. tonphil1960 New Member

Without a doubt, shading and highlighting. I have to agree with Brent too, Heraldry is on the list.

Tony
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    I would say that my difficulty at my current state is the tight areas that you have to paint and not mess up with the rest of the colors. For example tight area between belts or straps etc. I have to go over and over again until there is a separation between them. And again they must stick out of each other which is another points that i need to get improved.
  7. Pete_H New Member

Steven,
    Hey, good discussion topic! Mine is using too much paint on my brush. I've tried repeatedly to break this habit, but then I find myself sliding back into it. At the behest of a certain fuzzy Canadian from Hamilton, I've written a reminder down on a card and taped it to the wall overlooking my workbench.
  8. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Steven,
    Well where to start. My biggest weakness is that I put to much thought into what other people would do with the figure I'm working on. I ran into a point where I built more for what others thought than myself. Don't misunderstand I like others to comment on my work I enjoy my chance to show my work to all the great guys here but I quit building for myself. Now i am back to doing it for me and well you guys here too and like many have found I have many weakness's painting being top on the list. I use Acrylic's on uniforms and think my shading and highlighting are week. I feel I am to hit and miss on my faces. But here is the place to learn get good feed back and have fun so that's my plan from now on. Oh another thing is I need to put a little more time into working on my figs. Regards Brock :)
  9. Lancer Active Member

An interesting topic! I haven't done in the past few years and have been painting like mad the past few months and suprise, it's not like riding a bicycle. For a time I thought I was ready to jump to the next level and now I find everything a weakness. My skintones are off and I don't know why, blending is a chore, transitions are too sharp or too muddy, eyes have turned into a project by itself, I won't touch heraldry or tartans. I'm just finishing up a few Andres 54's and I'm thinking the colors I airbrushed on are fine, oils are just going to mess it up.
    So I'm here to represent those who are not worried about the next level anymore, because I can't get back to my old one! I see the fire is getting low, time to toss another figure in!
    :)
    Cheers
    mark
  10. CondeJulian Well-Known Member

Brazil
    For me , Eyes are a bitch to do ...
    I don't even try to do Highlanders , LOL ...
    Regards
    Julian
  11. Chazman Active Member

United-States
    Two things:

1) Eyes.

2) Calling a piece done and moving on to the next project.
  12. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    1. Whites
    2. Fleshtones
    3. Hands
    4. Being satisfied enough to at least finish it without re-doing parts of it.
  13. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    It would be easier for me to list my strong suit, which IMHO is composition.
  14. BigDaddy A Fixture

United-States
    Oh Boy., you are asking for some home psychotherapy!

My weakness is not painting enough! I agree the damn eyes are tough. Also knowing when to stop. Also like Brock said, judging yourself against other peoples work. Keeping focused on your best abilities, not someone else's is tough. Paint for youself, and use others work for ides and new techniques to try.

matt
  15. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I paint all the time and I still suck. I have never started painting anything without either completely forgetting every technique I ever learned or when applying those techniques I do remember - they don't work.

Recently, painting the whites of the sailors in my Zoot Suit piece has been a complete nightmare. Absolutely nothing worked and when I look at something like the following figure and then look at mine I want to hurl chunks.

Attached Files:

16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    When i see the figures of other people i find everything on my skills is weakness.
    Gotto improve a lot

marc
  17. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    My biggest headache is painting the eyes; one ends of looking fine, while the other always seems a bit off kilter. Secondly, is painting very fine detail (badges, rank insignia, etc.)--still haven't gotten used to the magnifiers.
  18. Manfred Active Member

Glad we only talk about hobby weaknesses, that somehow narrows it to an acceptable level :lol:

In painting: Getting every colour shaded and highlighted in the same tonal contrast. Often my figures look as if three different people had painted on them. Also petite freehands.

In sculpting: Getting things symmetrical in shape or mass. I do one okay eye and the other one is totally off for example.

Generally modeling: Stopping abruptly at about 75 to 90 % close to finished projects and loosing enthusiasm. Then starting something new. The weakness I hate most.

So there you have it!

Weak-fred
  19. Chazman Active Member

United-States
    Oh man....I know exactly what you're talking about!

That happens to me all the time. I think if I could work a bit faster and with more efficiency, I could finish more pieces before I lose interest and move on to something new.
  20. Pete_H New Member

Bob,
    Dude, I know how you feel. But then again, look who's work you compared yours too - Mario Fuentes. IMHO, it's best to compare your work with your own last effort and see where things have improved and pursue them further, as well as to see what looks "the same" and that's what's next to improve upon. Then again, that's just my opinion ;)