1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

What is the box?

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by tanstaafler, Aug 6, 2020.

1. tanstaafler New Member

This is the Young miniatures Polish Hussar Nobleman bust There is a metal box on the strap, does anyone know what it is? Cartridge case, make up bag, lunch box? Any help would be appreciated. IMG_7841.jpg

Dak
    theBaron likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Dak

It's a cartouche pouch generally decorative , the belt and pouch is seen in use on Napoleonic French hussars and Victorian English regiments

There's not that much space in it so perhaps pistol balls or personal items

Hope this helps

Nap
  3. tanstaafler New Member

So, it is a man purse.:)
    Dak
    Nap likes this.
  4. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    See here perhaps
    https://figurementors.com/reviews/kit-review-polish-hussar-nobleman-young-miniatures/

in the text you read : ... powder horn .... pouch ...
    We are in the 16th century, the time you reloaded the VietNam war was already over ;)
    You reload when you have plenty of time, when not in combat, so a small quantity of bullet in a small pouch seems normal

Very poor molding, lack of finesse on such a big scale ( I have seen far better on 54mm in metal 50 years back )
    It's a bit like the guys who showed us, some weeks ago, a Hussard bust same scale with braidings looking like parachute straps ( duelist if I remember correctly )
  5. tanstaafler New Member

Yes, I read that review. I'm working on both this one and the Winged guy, too. detail o
    looks good to me based on the pictures of the armor and the re-enactors.

Dak
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Yeah, it's a cartridge box. I don't know about packing personal items in it, though. They tended to have a wooden block inside, drilled with holes to hold the cartridges and help the soldier reach in and find a catridge quickly, without digging around.

It's sitting a little far forward on that figure, too; call it artistic license. When worn on a shoulder belt, the pouch tended to be carried behind, at the rear of the hip. There were cartridge pouches worn at the front, at the belly, but they were carried on waistbelts, not over the shoulder.

Prost!
    Brad
    Nap likes this.
  7. tanstaafler New Member

Well, it does match a photograph.
    Dak 9cf97bc16c29931933583334925f4c6e.jpg
    Oda likes this.