1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

What got you started into figure modelling/making

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Adrian Cowdry, Sep 6, 2014.

1. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    ha ha, happy modelling / badger
  2. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Well now playing music while making/painting models - Gary I like your choices - but Arthurian I would prefer the Soundtrack to Excalibur or even have the film on while painting - having said that I love Arthurian stuff what figures?

I think we could all go off on music threads here. We started off with nostalgia and music fitted in...now we have music while you make.....my favorite genre of music is soundtrack - I love John Barry, Ennio Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith, Danny Elfman, John Williams et al....so when doing WW2 subjects a little Elmer Bernstein or John Addiscombe, Lalo Schiffrin (Great Escape, A Bridge Too Far, Kelly's Heroes) or something a little more....oh hell no just stick a good movie on while making quick fire up the DVD player and stick on Where Eagles Dare or The Wild Geese or Excalibur or The Adventures of Robin Hood, Lord of the Rings, Godfather, Jaws, Bullitt, Bond (Connery, Lazenby or Dalton), Blade Runner....oh I could go on.....

And Meatloaf is good to have on the ipod while riding the Harley.
    garyhiggins likes this.
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well an ex girlfriend of mine actually told me that had she known about my interest in figure painting before we got together, I would in all likelihood not have pulled - such is the 'stigma' attached to our hobby :ROFLMAO: !! She still thought it was "nerdy", but at the same time she could appreciate its artistic merits.

- Steve
    garyhiggins and peedee like this.
  4. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    This is an old, old story, it is far too easy for girls, people in general, and the legitimate art world in particular, to dismiss us as "silly old men playin' with toy soldiers", and to be fair, I have known those who go out of their way to foster this image:( This is why I so much enjoy the work of our Ladies who paint. Generally they're good enough to scare the hell out of the Royal Academy, and no one could call them "silly old men"! End of Rant!
    Adrian, much as I agree with all your choices, you have missed a couple , for war movies - William Walton & Eric Coates.
    I know I'm a bit of a sod for going off thread (appologies) , so back to the original question, I found a couple of my dad's hand moulds from 50 years ago and decided to give them a try. They haven't seen the light of day in all that time, yet first casts- perfect! When I've got some paint on them, I'll stick them up.They are 54mm Fagin and Artful Dodger.
    Best wishes, Gary.
    crf likes this.
  5. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

I have this argument many times, and the best reply is I tell them that we are making "To-morrow's Antiques". AND CAN THEY DO SOMETHING AS SKILLFUL?
    garyhiggins and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    What's a girl ?

Guess whose success rate didn't matter !!

........not so Nerdy ..but dammed good looking now !!

Nap
    garyhiggins likes this.
  7. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That's right Nap,
    once you don't care about having to impress 'em,
    you end up beating women away with sticks eh?
    I had two phone numbers given to me yesterday !
    I didn't try for them they were just offered.

Still that's the Citizens Advice Bureaux for you

Paul.
    garyhiggins and napoleonpeart like this.
  8. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Funnily enough, I have noticed this syndrome,,,,, I just can't remember what to do about it??? :cry::cry::(
    peedee likes this.
  9. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'm not sure what you insinuate gary old bean I remember what to do.

In fact blow the modesty

I should really brag about my sex life at 48

It's only 5 doors down, I'm at 58 myself
    Paul
    garyhiggins likes this.
  10. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Unfortunately, I don't remember how to insinuate either:facepalm:................... Such is life!
    peedee likes this.
  11. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Isn't it like dry brushing or something?

Too deep for me I'm gonna get me brushes dirty
    napoleonpeart and garyhiggins like this.
  12. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    women, children, and dogs, treat them the same, firm but fair, / badger. and if your married as i am, you only need to learn 2 words- yes dear.
    peedee, billyturnip and napoleonpeart like this.
  13. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    After god had created the man he made the woman. Then he felt sorry for the man and gave him a model kit:D
    swralph, garyhiggins and peedee like this.
  14. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Oh that is the truth about god giving man a model kit!

And Yes Dear are the two most over used under rated words ever strung together! Especially if you hand a credit card over as well!

I know I have missed a few war movies but that really is another thread - looking forward to Fury though.
    Martin64, peedee and garyhiggins like this.
  15. polyphemus Well-Known Member

garyhiggins and peedee like this.
  16. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I have to say I'm also looking forward to 'FURY' my son and I where in Normandy just a few weeks ago.
    Normally I couldn't care less about a new war movie.
    Paul
  17. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Geoff, that blog is quite profound, he mentions time and again of his love of crafts.

I can really relate to this having watched How! week after week as a child,

The highlight for me was jack hargreaves' segments, and his seperate program out of town about country crafts.
    I still find myself perferring to watch programs about making/restoring things to otherr strands of televiosion.
    He had an interesting life, and his on-screen image is quite misleading.

To quote part of wikipedia:-

At the outset of the Second World War, broadcasting was recognised as part of the war effort. Hargreaves' talents in this field meant that he faced being recruited to a restricted post in radio, a reserved occupation. Instead, he joined the Royal Artillery as a private, quickly became an NCO, entered the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, and was commissioned into the Royal Tank Regiment. Even so, Hargreaves' reputation as a communicator went ahead of him. He was recruited to the staff of General Montgomery to play a role setting up broadcasting services to allied forces before and after D-Day. He left the army in 1945 with the substantive rank of major, having briefly held the acting rank of lieutenant-colonel.

jack1.jpg 220px-Jack44.jpg
    garyhiggins likes this.
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I used to love watching Jack Hargreaves.
    peedee and garyhiggins like this.
  19. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    If you like good old tv,
    download "left Bank by the noveltones" a
    nd play it when you look at a gllery of model piccies.
    Have fun !
    Paul
    garyhiggins and billyturnip like this.
  20. garyhiggins A Fixture

England