1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Oils What Flesh Paint mix

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Akritas, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    Hi everyone! I've been in this hobby for more than 10 years and have always used the same oils flesh paint mix.

Three parts white, two parts gold ochre and one part burnt sienna.

I am however open to suggestions for a different / better mix.

Word of caution, I am useless when it comes to painting faces with acrylics so it would be no good to mention this medium here.

Looking forward to your replies

Cheers
    Nicolas
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Nicolas, I agree about acrylics and faces, although I do envy those who have mastered them at times. My personal flesh mix colours are always dependent on either race or, situation. Alizaron Crimson, Raw/Burnt Sienna, Raw/Burnt Umber, Magenta, Naples yellow (Hue), Cadmium Orange, Paynes Grey, Phthalo Blue, Terre Vert and Soft Mixing White. A lot I know but, there are so many variations in skin tones, you can always surprise yourself with what you can use in a 'flesh' tone. I personally never use any black but many do. I guess it all comes down to colour perception in the end.
    Cheers, Ron.
  3. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Do you have any pictures of what your flesh looks like on some figures? Maybe it is just fine and you don't need to change.
  4. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Nicolas
    The oils you are using are a classic basic mix.Try adding a touch of blue into the mix to "grey it down" a bit or you could add a touch of raw umber.
    Brian
  5. Einion Well-Known Member

6. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    Hi everyone!

So many thanks for your comments and advice.

Mike, I will try to post pictures of my latest project (an old Reheat kit of a Voodoo pilot).

I can't wait to try out the different paint combinations (and will stay clear of burnt sienna

Cheers
    Nicolas
  7. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Interesting that Einion says to stay away from Burnt Sienna as in the link he provides it includes the basic mixes that John Howard Sanden uses:
    Dark 1
    A basic shadow tone for Caucasian skin and a good basic flesh colour for dark-skinned subjects, this is a mixture of Burnt Sienna, white, Viridian and Cadmium Orange.

Dark 2
    A darker tint than Dark 1, this is used for darkest accents in shadow areas. The mixture consists of Burnt Sienna, Viridian and Cadmium Orange.
    I was taught that Burnt Sienna was invaluable in basic skin tones and would urge you to try it for yourself before you dismiss it. You may be pleasantly surprised.
  8. Einion Well-Known Member

I think you missed this or misinterpreted it Ron:
    In case it's not clear this meant using it in what we'd generally call the basecoat or midtone mixtures.

Einion
  9. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As you stated 'in a basic skin mixture', rather than 'base coat or midtone mixture, it is easy to see how a misinterpretation could occur. I think we should call it a draw and let Nicolas choose for himself from what we all have offered up.
  10. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    Ok people, I am back and first of all my warmest thanks to all of you who took the trouble and time to provide me with your valuable feedback.

As already mentioned, I am currently working on an old Reheat model, sitting in my workshop for almost ten years. Below you can see the results of the work done on the face using my usual flesh mix (Three parts white, two parts gold ochre and one part burnt sienna). I achieve my shadows/highlights by varying the amounts of the paint mix and for extreme highlights I use pure white. For deep shadows burnt sienna or burnt umber.

And of course, please feel free to "fire away" and don't be gentle with your comments. In Cyprus, there are only three-four guys (that I know of) into this hobby therefore things can be king of "limited".

Word of caution, I took the pictures using a digital SLR, however I am still waiting for my portable photo studio (thanks PlanetFigure) to arrive from Amazon, therefore lighting conditions were less than ideal.

Einion, I am currently working using the color mixes you suggested (picture of my palette below) for the extreme highlights and mid tones. I will post pictures of the "After" effects as soon as I am done.

Cheers
    Nicolas

Attached Files: